40: C a p t u r e

"There's got to be more
Than going back and forth
From doing right to doing wrong
'Cause we were taught that's who we are
Come on get in line right behind me
You along with everybody
Thinking there's worth in what you do."

~ Flawless by MercyMe

"MAX!" Adalynn called out, her voice almost lost to the wind that was whipping ferociously around her

"MAX!" Adalynn called out, her voice almost lost to the wind that was whipping ferociously around her. "MAX MILLER!"

"Urgh, it's no use. He's not out here!" Jackie groaned as she glanced up towards the darkening sky. "For all we know, he could be out hijacking cars with Ethan."

Adalynn glared at her. "Ethan is NOT hijacking cars, Jackie."

"How do you know?" Jackie shot back sarcastically.

A sudden vibration in her back pants' pocket caused Adalynn to stop and pull out her Louie. "Hang on a sec, it's Hayley," she told her friend as she accepted the incoming call. "Yes?"

"We've found Max," Hayley informed her on the other end of the line. "Well, Leo did actually. They're coming back to the biology lab now as we speak."

"Coolio. Jackie and I will meet you there," Adalynn returned as she shut off her Louie and motioned for Jackie to follow her. "C'mon. They've found him."

The two girls broke into a run as they sprinted back across the oval towards the Academy's back veranda.

Time was running out.

Jackie and Adalynn burst breathlessly into the lab just as Hayley finished showing Max the video.

As Jackie secured the door, Adalynn hurried over to Max and looked him in the eye. "I know you've been avoiding all of us of late, but we need your help; the ROP needs your help. We have  forty-two hours to figure out what Jason is up too."

Max nodded his head slowly, his face an expression of incredulous disbelief. "H-how could Emma do this?" he whispered.

"Emma was forced into this by Jason," Adalynn told him abruptly. "Didn't you watch the video? She's warning us! We need to hurry. If you want Emma to come back to the Academy, you're gonna have to cooperate."

"And if I don't? If I go and tell Louis about all of this?"

"I'll strangle you and dump your body over the cliffs," Jackie threatened as she stepped forward. Slamming her fists down on the table in front of her, she growled, "Just damn well tell us what you know!"

Max backed away from her, his face screwed up in fright. "I - I don't know, Jackie. Emma never told me anything."

"W-what about the picnic that she mentioned in the video?" Hayley prompted.