19: "I t' s U r g e n t"

"Help me, it's like the walls are caving in
Sometimes I feel like giving up
But I just can't
It isn't in my blood."

~ In My Blood by Shawn Mendes

BBRRRIIINNNGGG.

The bell went off.

Instantly every single classroom was evacuated and the hall swarmed with students returning to their dorms or going out for a Friday night drink.

Adalynn sighed as she packed away her computing books and accepted the homework sheets from her teacher. Grabbing her woolly cardigan out of her book bag, Adalynn pulled it on and walked out into the hallway.

"Hey Stanton."

Adalynn jumped and whirled around. "Leo!" she scolded. "You scared me, mate. Don't do that again."

Leo chuckled and pushed himself off of the doorframe. "Hey, you feeling better? After - you know what - happened?"

Adalynn nodded. "That was like two days ago, Leo. I'm fine."

Leo nodded. "Hey," his face brightened up. "Do you wanna pop out for a coffee or something? I think Jamaica Blue's still open?"

Adalynn smiled. "I'd love that!"

Leo's face curved into a wide grin. "Great, let's go. We can drive my car."

Ten minutes later, Leo pulled into a car lot across the street from the Academy. From there, he and Adalynn walked the few blocks to the cafe. They were the only customers so they had the whole place to themselves. They shared a bagel and a pack of hot chips. Over steaming mugs of coffee, they discussed many topics at random: Schoolwork. Music. The Academy. The dedication the next day.

"It's so sad," Leo muttered with downcast eyes. "I - I can't believe Ryan's ... dead."

Adalynn nodded soberly. "I didn't know Ryan very well ... but I knew Hayley, and that's enough."

As she sat back in her chair, Adalynn casually glanced out of the nearby cafe window and froze.

A man, a cap placed over his head and a heavy jacket on his shoulders, stormed down the pavement. He was so angry, his heavy breathing showed clearly in the crisp, frosty air. He was heading towards the cafe's front doors!

Why does that guy look so familiar?

Adalynn's eyes never left him as he stalked inside and scanned the room. When he noticed Adalynn and Leo sitting in the corner, he paused and lifted his cap.

"Adalynn," he nodded in recognition.

"D-Don?" Adalynn stuttered, shocked. "Don Miller! How - er - nice to see you."