13. Anacia and the oeskas (✔)

Start from the beginning

"Are you crazy?" I said.

She gave a look that said 'no but seems like you are'.

I gave her the can and folded my arms, "I'm sorry but I'm not stupid. I'll just get the hell out of here."

"You think you could do that?" She said. "They'll tear you in shreds in the blink of an eye."

"So what? We kill them?"

"Unless you have a death wish," she said. "Now hurry, we don't have time. You take those men-" she pointed in the right. There are around 3 men there. "-and I'll take them." She pointed in the opposite direction where another 3 were standing.

She thrust three knifes in my hand. I closed my eyes. I did not want to do this. Was she even listening to me? Defeated, I asked her. "How?"

"You dip those knifes in this," she gave me that box. "Then, aim at the men. Aim anywhere but try to go for the chest."

I open the lid of the can and scrutinized its content. There was a semi liquid, jelly-like substance. It was purple in color. I scrunched up my nose. How was this going to help?

"What will it do?" I asked.

"Give us time to run," she said. I gave her an 'I don't believe it' look. She sighed, "Once they get it inside their system, it'll mess up with their heads."

"Won't it harm us? I mean, we're humans too."

I could swear to God I heard her say 'they're not' but she said something else louder, "I know those people. They're allergic to it."

"All of them?"

"Yes."

Liar. It was clear through her voice that she was lying about it but I remained quiet.

I picked some of that thing on my finger. It did not appear sticky but stuck to my finger really bad. It reminded me of my hallucination. I shook my head and pushed it away. Now wasn't the time. I dipped those knives in it and spread it all over them.

"Are you ready?" The girl asked, ready to run.

"Wait," I grabbed her arm and pulled her back. "We should wait for them to come near. They're too far and aiming with a knife is just shooting blindly without any target."

She seemed reluctant, "What if we are too late? We're dead."

"What if our knives do not hit them from here and they find us? We're definitely dead, then."

She muttered something incoherent under her breath and nodded, "Fine."

I kept an eye on the men. The girl was constantly trying to call someone. As they stepped closer, I saw that they were dressed up similar to Josh and Rodrigo.

"Now," I nudged her.

We took our positions and began taking them one by one. They saw us and one of them pounced on me. I ducked as the men stumbled behind me. Turning, I went on to throw a knife, seeking the opportunity while he tried to regain himself. Before I could throw, a man caught my arm. I grunted and tried to push him away. His arm wrapped around my neck. To free myself, I stabbed his shoulder. He grunted and stumbled back, falling to ground. I breathed heavily and stared at his body. Someone shouted behind me. It was the same man who had earlier I ducked again as he came but instead of moving away, I stabbed him in the stomach. He shrieked in pain and fell, joining his friend.

I smiled with victory but noticed one was still left. I turned to notice the girl had already taken him down.

"You're good," she commented.

I smiled, "Oh, it was nothing. Besides, you did my work too. You're the one with some fast combat skills"

She smiled too, for the first time since we met. "Well, thanks to my brother."

We stayed quiet for some time, before she broke the silence, "We must go before they get up again."

"Get up again? We stabbed them with knives."

"It'll just slow them. Oeskas will make them go in a deep slumber.."

I raised an eyebrow, "What is oeskas?"

"I shouldn't have said that," she blanched. I wanted to know but did not press further.

She walked up to the men whom I stabbed and bent down. I asked, "What are you doing?"

"I'm checking their pulse to prove you that they're very much alive and healthy." After some time, she frowned, "They...they're dead. YOU KILLED THEM!"

I cringed, "Stop shouting. I didn't kill them. I just stabbed them, just like you did."

She shook her head, "You don't understand."

Honestly, I didn't. And I had no wish to. I just wanted to go back.

"Look whatever your name is-"

I cut her off, "It's Roe." I walked over to men she had stabbed and checked their pulse. Their heartbeat was there. They were alive.

"Err...these men, they're alive."

She simply nodded, looking disinterested, "I know."

Then, her head shot up with wide eyes, "Wait a minute, how did you know they were alive?"

"I checked their pulse," I say.

"You were able to?"

"Yes; why won't I be able to?"

She looked shell-shocked. I was getting nervous.

"What's your name, by the way?" I asked, trying to not get panic.

"Anacia," she said. Her tone suddenly seemed different. I couldn't really point it but there is a slight change. It sounded calm and less hostile. "We have to go before they get up."

Oh, yeah.

We started moving out of the woods. My mind swirled with questions. This became a daily task for me since I came here - get out of bed, wait for something mysterious to happen, try finding it out and end up giving yourself a severe headache.

"So, what is it exactly?" I asked casually though there was nothing casual about it.

"What is what?"

"Why did some men die and some didn't?"

"You must have used too much of oeskas. So instead of shutting them temporarily, it shut them permanently. Not that you did something wrong."

What was this oeskas thing? I wanted to know but she did not answer it previously, and she wouldn't now as well. So I asked my next question.

"What were those gunshots? I don't see you having a gun."

"It wasn't me. It was them."

"And why were you here? Those men were definitely not playing hide and seek with you. And why were they wearing those kind of clothes?"

This question seemed to freeze her at her spot.

"Were they some kind of scouts?" I asked.

"Y...yes, they were. They were hunters and that's why I was stopping them. I was passing by and saw them."

I nodded. It sounded a little less plausible but I believed her anyway.

"Why were you here?"

"I lost my way. I was out for a walk."

"Look Roe, you seem pretty nice to me. One thing, take it as a warning or an advice it's up to you. This place isn't safe, especially for people like you. Stay indoors and try not to meddle much in certain matters. And those things happening in the forest; just ignore them. It's the best for you."

"What do you mean people like me?"

"I mean the nice people, Roe. They're very less, very less."

With that she went in the opposite direction, shaking her head and calling someone.