Chapter 3- Shouts

You were just after finishing up on two mucus spirits. Those were absolutely horrible and you shivered at the thought of the chore. Yubaba had summoned for you and as you made your way to the top floor, you couldn't help but wonder why.

You had been here once before, to sign your contract. You knocked on the first door and no one opened it, so you continued through the hallways. You opened and closed doors for quite some time as you walked down the hallway. Glancing at every twist and turn, you decided to stay on the straight path. It was safer and less likely doomed for certain death.

As you opened the last door you came to the main doors. The ones that led into Yubaba's office. You were just about to knock when you heard shouting.

"YOU INSOLENT FOOL!!! I TOLD YOU TO RETRIEVE THE STONE!!! NOT GO AND HAVE A LOOKSIE AND THEN JUST COME BACK EMPTY HANDED!!!" Yubaba was shouting. There was another crash and you heard a loud grunt of pain. It was a male voice and it sounded like... no it couldn't be...

"I was close but then they found me just as I was leaving!" Haku replied sounding tired and hurt. Your heart broke for him, you had never heard him sound like that before and you felt like rushing in there and saving the day. You bit your lip and pressed your ear to the hard wood surface.

"YOU! DONT SPEAK! THEY KNOW IM AFTER IT." Another crash "NOW, THERE IS NO HOPE OF GETTING IT!!"

Yubaba sounded extremely angry. You decide to intervene before she caused more damage. After you knock on the huge doors it goes silent on the other side. You were about to knock again but Yubaba opens the doors before you do. "Y/N, yes?" She says impatiently. You nod your head and she walks back into her office and sits at her desk. She starts going through files and you see your picture and name. You step into the office, you hear a weak moan and look over into a corner.

Haku lay there bloody, bruised and in a heap. You gasped and looked at Yubaba as she stood still holding your file. "Im going away for a few days. Haku here will be in charge and you will be his assistant. You will also be taking care of the baby." She slapped a long list on her desk. "Follow these rules with care and do not break a single one!" She demanded as she stepped out and for the window. She gave one last glare between the pair of you, seemingly staring through. She scoffed, turning to look out into the night sky. "If I'm lucky, he'll die." She wrapped herself in a black cloak and flew out the window with her spy following along behind her.

You hurriedly closed it to not let the draft in and then rushed over to Haku.

"Haku! Haku can you hear me?" You asked in a panicked tone. You grab his shoulders and he gasps in pain. You bite your lip seeing all the blood around his stomach and chest. Seeing that his clothes are ripped into shreds on his back, you carefully hold his head and rest him on your knees. He grimaces and clutches onto your hand for support. "I-I'll be fine... go do your job." he says weakly and his eyes flicker open. He was in extreme pain but was trying his hardest not to show it. "Shush Haku, save your strength" you say quietly, your heart was pounding in your chest, nervous with the sudden ordeal.

Your stomach began to flutter and feel like a thousand butterflies were inside, beating their wings to a melody as you looked at Haku. He had let go of your hand and you felt slightly cold where his touch had been. You sighed and moved your hands to his shirt. "Im going to take this off, it might hurt - just hold onto something to steady yourself" you spoke soothingly. He nodded slowly and held onto your uniform, you easily undid his shirt and gently pulled it off him. You threw the damaged thing to the side and looked at Haku's many wounds. You gasped and you felt his grip tighten on your uniform. "Don't..." was all he said before he fainted in your embrace.

A/N

Enjoying the story so far? Show your enjoyment in the comments or votes!

And a happy welcome to the  new and old!

-AA

(edited)