Chapter 62: Hot Chocolate

Start from the beginning

"Because it's just wrong. He is not good enough for you. A guy like that doesn't deserve a girl like you. You deserve way better than him," he said bitterly.

In the living room, I saw Blade's face fall before he wiped it all away behind a mask. Kyle hit a sore spot. Blade's insecurities were far greater in number than they used to be after my birthday.

"A guy like that? Like what, Kyle? Explain it to me. Because you don't even know him so I'd love to hear what you think he's like."

"All the guys you date are the same; they're always a bunch of selfish assholes who always treat you like crap. I really doubt he's any different." 

"What the fuck? You met him for two seconds and you're making your assumptions based on what? Petty jealousy? Seriously Kyle, grow up. Blade is amazing. He takes care of me, he took me in after my room mate got mauled, he's been keeping me eating while I study and stress, he's been protecting me and he's the sweetest guy I've ever met. He's exactly what I deserve and more to the point, he is who I want to be with. Sure he makes mistakes, but who doesn't? Perfection isn't real." I fixed his eyes with mine, stepping forward. "If you can't respect me, my choices, or my boyfriend, then you're going to have to leave. I'm not going to let you be in my house while you act like a sulky child. So pull it together or get the hell out of here. I love him. Deal with it."

There was a long pause before he finally responded, expression cold and mean, and not a look I'd ever received from him in all the years I'd known him. It made me feel sick.

"You know Kiana, Chelsea hasn't changed. Neither has Brianna or even me. But you have. And I think you changed for the worst. I hope you're happy with that guy. I heard you live together. Sleeping together every night must be awesome," he said icily before he stalked out of the kitchen to the door.

I froze, hearing the kettle flick off but I couldn't even move. It felt like I had just been slapped in the face, too shocked to feel the real burn but a few moments after I did.

I turned around, blinking to hide my tears as I started making hot chocolate. Two arms wound around my waist and I dropped what I was doing, turning to bury my face in Blade's neck, struggling not to cry.

"Don't listen to him," he soothed, "He's just being a jerk."

"I know. But that doesn't make it hurt any less," I whispered, eyes squeezed shut tight. I pulled away, cradling his face in my hands. "Don't take what he said seriously either Blade. I love you and I don't want anyone else. You're not perfect but that's not what I'm looking for. We all make mistakes, that doesn't make me love you any less."

He took one of my hands, his fingers entwining in mine. "I know. It's just...it's hard to hear someone say it sometimes. Especially after what I did." 

"Hey..." I ran my fingers through his hair, smiling at him. "Don't worry about it. I'm over it." Okay, maybe I wasn't entirely. But I was trying to be, and that was what counted.

He leaned his forehead against mine and my eyes closed. "He was right. You really are too good."

"It hardly has to do with being good. It has more to do with the fact that I find it increasingly hard to stay angry at you. Plus I have better ways to spend my time than being miserable." I gave him a kiss until my mom interrupted.

"Hey! I thought you were making hot chocolate, not making out!" she called, laughing.

I pulled away, resisting the urge to roll my eyes as we prepared the hot chocolate and headed over to the living room again, everyone taking a hot chocolate break.

"Where'd Kyle go?" Mom asked, eating the whipped topping and marshmallows of her hot chocolate with a spoon.

"Like I know, like I care," I snorted. If he's going to act like that I rather he not be around at all. Blade tossed me a look but I ignored him. Yeah it hurt that he did that, but what I could do? Better to just kick him out then slap him silly. Besides, he had zero right to say any of that shit to me. He didn't own me. So what if he liked me? He had his chance and he didn't take it. He couldn't expect me to just sit around for the rest of my life, twiddling my thumbs and waiting for him to be brave enough to say something. Fuck that.