Chapter 37: Chicken Fight

It was killing me. I wanted to know so badly but I was afraid to ask and make them feel bad or embarrassed and put them on the spot. But Nate had even switched seats to sit next to Katie during Math--I mean, okay sure, she was helping him out with a problem--but I was sure there was something else there.

I was thinking so hard about those two that I hadn't been paying attention to my pencil, which I'd been rolling back and forth between my fingers as I studied them, and it hit the floor. Bending down to grab it, I glanced up at the potential couple again to see Nate with his hand on Katie's leg.

"Aww!" That was so cute. For my efforts at spying on them under the table, I accidentally bashed my head on the side of my desk on my way back up.

"What's your deal?" Nate asked, eyebrow arched.

"Um..." I rubbed at my pained head, wincing. That was going to leave a serious mark. "Sorry, I hit my head. Ignore me."

They were both still giving me weird looks when Nate stood up to ask the teacher to go to the bathroom. I waited impatiently for him to leave the room and as soon as he was gone, I leaned forward to Katie and hit her on the nose with my pencil eraser. She jerked in surprise, rubbing her nose from my attack.

"What was that for?" she whined.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Tell you what?"

"You know what," I said, waving my pencil in the air, "You and Nate sitting next to each other...his hand on your leg...you guys hooked up, didn't you?"

She flushed a bright lobster red.

"Oh my God! I knew it!"

"Kiana!" the teacher scolded me. "Keep it down."

"Sorry," I said sheepishly before I turned back to Katie, lowering my tone. "How? When? Where? Tell me everything!"

"It was super sweet," she said, smoothing her papers across her desk, cheeks still splotched with pink. "Wednesday night we didn't go to dinner with everyone else because he said he had something planned. So we met up in the forest in this beautiful little clearing and he had a whole picnic set up and it was so romantic and it was under the stars and..." she broke off with a dreamy sigh, "It was amazing. And then he got all nervous and he was blushing and then he asked me if it would be alright if we started dating. And I got so happy I kind of...well...I kind of jumped him and kissed him."

I hopped over to steal Nate's empty chair and hugged her tight. "I'm so happy for you guys! But how come you didn't tell me?"

"Well I didn't know how to say it, it's so new. Gosh Kiana I don't think I've ever been so happy in my entire life."

"This is totally amazing! He's perfect for you. He's so sweet and caring and you guys are just too cute. I knew this would happen!" I gushed. I was so glad they both managed to get over their shyness and finally got together. It had been way too long that they'd been circling each other.

Nate came back from the bathroom and we both grinned at him.

"What?" he frowned, glancing down. "My fly isn't down, is it?"

I laughed. "You're just totally romantic and sweet, that's all."

His eyes popped and he glanced at Katie, eyebrows raised. Katie nodded enthusiastically he relaxed, stealing my vacant chair to scoot it closer to Katie since I was still sitting in his.

"So did anything else happen this week that I missed? I'm feeling very left out," I said, only half joking. Another downside to living with Blade was missing out on time with my friends and everything was going on over here.