Chapter 18: Late Night Dates

I padded into the bathroom barefoot, my hair in a French braid from my afternoon shower and in my short shorts and a tank top, but even that felt like too much clothes. Air-conditioning happened in the lounge areas, hallways and main foyers of the dorm buildings.

But not in the actual dorm rooms.

Which was why I was dying of heat. I was almost tempted to go sleep in the hallway since it was definitely fresher out there than in here, where I was a melted puddle of a human being in bed, all my blankets kicked down to the bottom and practically on the floor. Even with the windows open, there wasn't enough of a breeze to help cool us down.

"Hey, sweetheart," Blade said from his spot across the bathroom. Last time I saw Blade was Saturday, the day of my date. And considering it was Sunday night, a week and a day later, I wasn't in the mood to talk to him. Plus I was exhausted and sweaty, which put me in a foul, sluggish mood.

"Buzz off," I slurred, still tired from the heat and the fact that my bed was so comfortable. Of course the heat rendered me incapable of sleeping but at least it was good enough just to lie there.

"Why would I do that? I'm picking you up for our date." 

"Uh-huh," I said politely, not really listening as I washed my face with cold water, hoping that might cool me down and damn, it felt amazing. What if I just took an ice cold shower instead? That might help cool me down just enough to sleep.

"Wow and here I thought you'd put up more of a fight," he said, surprised.

"Fight?" I mumbled, looking up at him through heavy eyelids. "Why would I fight?"

"Because we're going out on a date," he said, knocking on my head with his knuckles. "I just figured you'd fight me on it."

"We're not going out," I yawned, "I'm exhausted, it's Sunday night, it's a million degrees outside and I'm heading back to bed. Goodnight." And in saying so I turned around, hand on the doorknob only for Blade to catch my hand with his.

"Oooh," I hummed, taking his cold hand off mine and putting it on my cheek. It was amazingly refreshing.

"What is with you tonight?" 

"It's hot and your hand is cold," I sighed, eyes closing as I leaned into his palm, keeping it pressed there. What I would give for an ice cream right about now, but his skin was a refreshing close second.

"You do realize how goofy you look?"

"I don't care. It's way too hot."

He pulled his hand from my cheek and I opened my mouth to protest but then I felt his hands slip under my shirt and rest on my back, fingers spread wide and so refreshing I shivered. His hands moved down, pressed against my lower back lightly and pulling me towards him. I sighed again. His hands were so cold and it felt so good on my clammy skin. Even his body felt fresh through his clothes and it was a goddamn relief. Pure bliss.

For one delirious moment I wished to just have the full feel of his bare skin against mine, how incredibly wonderful it would feel right now. He could cover me with his entire body like a cooling blanket so I could sleep.

Thankfully I wasn't so far gone as to say it out loud, or he would immediately leap on the chance to be naked in bed together. Though probably for an activity that would bring the temperature up even higher. 

Against my wishes, my body flushed at the thought, ruining the pure magic of his cooler skin on mine.

"Well, if I ever get a fever I know who to call," I joked after a moment, opening my tired eyes to see Blade watching me intensely.

"What?" I asked, feeling self-conscious. Maybe I was being a little too touchy feely or weird.