Chapter 35: Eight Legged Friend

"So what's it like living with Blade?" Mick asked me excitedly on Monday during lunch when we met under usual tree to catch up after this weekend's nightmare. Everyone seemed to be doing much better now that the news that Jill would be fine had spread, though there was a definite air of unease on campus. Only made worse by the lingering crime scene tape and closed off dorm room, and the occasional officer still hanging around.

There were still no leads on who did that to Jill, and the police had questioned a lot of students. Even I had gotten questioned when I arrived this morning, seeing as I lived in that room with Jill, but I didn't have much to give them as I hadn't been around at the time and hadn't seen Jill all day. What little knowledge I did have, I kept to myself. I could hardly start spouting stuff about vampires to the cops.

"It's alright, I guess. From the five minutes I spent with his girlfriend, she was a total pain. Not much else to report. I didn't see her or Blade at all yesterday since they were in her room. Aidan was nice though, and Leo."

It had been utterly uneventful. I spent more time with Aidan than anyone else, watching movies and touring the place, and we had dinner together before I got too tired and went to hide out in my new room alone. The bed was so stupidly comfortable it didn't even make any sense, but I hated being there by myself. I had gotten used to my small dorm with Katie and Jill on either side of me and even when I was at home there was my mom down the hall and my cat who kept my company every night. Occasionally her boyfriend Peter would stay over and bring his golden retriever Andrew, who sometimes snuck into my room to sleep on my bed. 

But this was isolating in the worst way. I couldn't even hear anyone in the rooms over, if there was anyone else as I wasn't sure who was sleeping where, and it felt like I was utterly alone in that big house. It was so quiet. I almost missed Jill sneaking in and out of our room at random hours of the night, or the way Katie would groan in the morning when her alarm went off and she'd snooze it at least five times before getting up.

Suffice to say, I didn't get much sleep last night, even if it was the comfiest bed I had ever slept in.

"Aidan? Leo?" Landon's eyebrows shot up. I wasn't sure if he was jealous that there seemed to be a plethora of guys at Blade's place, or if he was just curious as to who else I was bunking with for the rest of the year. Probably both.

"Aidan is Mona's con—uh, he's Mona's brother. And Leo is Blade's...well...he's kind of like a servant."

"Servant?" Nate looked sceptical. "Is this guy rich or something?"

"Filthy rich. If it wasn't for Aidan I never would have found my way anywhere in that damn castle."

"Castle?" Katie asked, taken aback.

"Well it looks  like a miniature castle anyway. I don't know. It's weird. He has a bunch of servants and maids and cooks and stuff. And my room is ridiculously huge."

"Damn cutie, you must have a horseshoe shoved up your butt or something when it comes to guys," Mick said, shaking his head at me but he was grinning.

"Why?" What in this situation was lucky? I would give anything to go back to sleeping in my dorm with Jill and Katie right about now. Jill and I might not have gotten along that well, but I had gotten used to her and it was weird not to have a verbal sparring match with her every day, just as it was odd not to get ready with Katie in the morning and have to drag her downstairs for breakfast. 

"Well, you've got hot soccer captain and track star Landon as a boyfriend plus a sexy, rich guy who totally worships the ground you walk on and now this Aidan guy? You're in like dream boy heaven," Mick explained eagerly, rubbing his hands over my arms. "Give me some of your luck please. I could use a hot boy or two in my life."

"Excuse me? Worships the ground I walk on? If he worships me so much why was he banging Mona all day and morning?"

It was true and I couldn't help my irritation. Aidan had to drive me to school because Blade couldn't be bothered to tear himself away from Mona; either he forgot about me or he just didn't care. I just know they were going at it this morning; I had gotten lost on my out and passed by what I assumed was Mona's room. I knew Blade was in there, I could feel him through our bond. And I doubt Mona could gasp and moan that loud and frequently by herself.