Chapter 62: Hot Chocolate

Start from the beginning

He bent down and picked it up, sticking his tongue out at me, "What can I say? I was feeling lonely, and even you need a break sometimes..." his lips curved up into a lazy smile. "Besides, studying is overrated."

"Yeah, well not all of us have already graduated high school," I replied as he threw the ball back, clipping my cheek.

"You make me sound old," he whined.

"How old are you?" Brianna asked curiously, legs folded up under her.

"Eighteen," he replied, rolling his shoulders as he took his turn to pass the lights around to Kyle and fixed up his side.

"Question!" Chelsea raised her hand, looking at him.

"Yes, Chelsea?" he asked in amusement.

"How come your eyes are red?" she asked, scrutinizing him. "Not to be mean or anything but that is really weird."

"Yeah, I know. Trust me, I really wish they weren't red," he sighed. "But they just are."

I thought of Eliza. How would that all have changed if he hadn't been a vampire? I cringed at the thought of him dying back all these years, married to Eliza. Technically he still was married...I think?...but still.

Blade kept his eyes down, focusing solely on the tree and I think even Chelsea realized she hit a bit of a sore spot. She shot me an apologetic look and I simply shook my head at her. It wasn't her fault, it's not like she knew. She just asked a normal question.

"Anyone want hot chocolate?" I asked, getting up.

"Me!" everyone shouted.

"Um...okay then," I chuckled, "Kyle? Care to help me with this heavy order?"

He nodded mutely, still not having spoken since I pushed him away, and followed me into the kitchen. You can see the kitchen from the living room, but with the kettle on it was hard to hear if you were talking quietly.

"Kyle...care to explain to me what happened?" I asked, leaning against one of the counters by the kettle, the cheery yellow paint annoying me now more than making me happy.

"I kissed you. What's so hard to get?" he mumbled and I had to strain to catch it.

"How about why? Especially after all these months; I haven't spoken to you since the day before I left for school," I replied, folding my arms in annoyance as I glared at him.

He came around the breakfast bar and took my hands, brown eyes wide and pleading. "Because I like you Kiana. I've liked you for a long time now and I decided I wasn't going to wait around anymore. I wanted to take advantage of you coming home to do what I've always wanted to do."

"But you didn't think, Kyle. I was gone for months...did you think I wouldn't get a boyfriend? News flash Kyle; I had one before Blade too. It's possible for me to get a guy, or multiple, if I wanted. If you wanted to 'seize the moment' you should have done it this summer," I practically hissed before taking a deep breath to calm myself down. I pulled my hands out of his, rubbing my temple for a second.

"Okay look. I'm not afraid to admit that I liked you, a lot, over the summer. But you never once asked me or anything. I was waiting for you to do something but you never did. I certainly wasn't going to make a move because frankly, if you don't think I was worth it enough to ask me out or something why should I bother with you?" I said quietly, rubbing my wrists awkwardly. "But since I've been at school..."

"Yeah, yeah. You've got a perfect boyfriend and you're in love. I get it," he muttered, starting to leave the kitchen.

"Kyle would you just listen for one second?" I grabbed his arm, yanking him back. "Yes, I have a boyfriend. Do I love him? Yes I do, more than I thought was even possible. But Kyle you're still one of my best friends. Why can't you just be happy for me instead of beating me down?"