24

The musty smell tugged on their noses as they waited for them. Hermione's heart skipped beats and she was unable to breath normally. This was the last time she would ever be on the grounds of Hogwarts. Maybe forever, when Dumbledore is killed, they would no longer welcomed back to Hogwarts.

"Breath" she told herself as she placed her hand on her chest, feeling the thump of her heartbeat.

Thump thump thump

The locks turned, indicating there was someone on the other cabinet.

Thump thump thump

In seconds death eaters would emerge from there.

Thump thump thump

The door slowly opened revealing black fog.

Thump thump thump

Out stepped Bellatrix Lestrange, wearing her wicked smile on her face. Draco slightly stepped in front of her, as if to protect her from them.

Hermione just couldn't watch. She hated them, she despised them.
"Draco let's go" she whispered tugging on her arm. Draco nodded and took a step backwards and started to walk out of the room.

They walked out and then they ran, as quiet as possible.

This was it, the end of their youth. The end of their freedom. This was the start of the war.

Thump Thump Thump

Their footsteps echoed as they climbed up the stairs of the tower. A place where Hermione used to come and think would now become a crime scene.

The winds whispered in her ear and flicked her hair.

"You're going to stay here and hide" Draco whispered.
"No! I'm coming with you" she argued holding onto him.
"Hermione- this is my task I have to do it"
"I don't care, I'm coming with you"
"Hermione, I don't want you to get hurt-"

"Stop with the 'I don't want you getting hurt' thing Draco! Last time I checked, I made myself a spy for the order meaning I'm in more danger as you!" Hermione whisper yelled.

"Yes I know that Hermione, but what are you going to do when you come up with me huh? We both know that you wouldn't be able to kill him. So stay under here in case Dumbledore fights back or something!"
"And you think you can Draco?" She challenged.
"I don't know, but this was my mission, I am not getting you involved in any of it"

"That isn't fair!"
"Nothing is fair Hermione and it's the time you realized that! Please stay here, for me, please" He pleaded. Hermione clenched her jaws and glared.

"Fine, but I'm going to jump in if I think I need to"
"I don't think so, you are going to stay here until I come and get you"
"Dra-" but he cut her off by standing up and leaving her making Hermione give a frustrated sigh.

"Good evening Draco" she heard Dumbledore greet. Hermione slowly began to walk towards them, shielding herself under a slight of stairs.

"What brings you here, on this fine evening?" He continued.

"Is anyone else here? I heard you taking" Draco accused.
"I was talking to myself actually, found it extraordinarily useful. Tell me have you been talking you yourself Draco?"

Hermione heard his breath tremble, like it would if one was scared.

"Draco, you are no assassin" Dumbledore gently started.
"How do you know what I am? I've done things that could shock you" Draco sneered.

"Giving Katie Bell a cursed necklace, lacing a bottle with poison Draco these seem very weak"
"He trusts me, I was chosen!" Draco argued and showed his mark as if to to scare him. Dumbledore unfortunately stood there, unfazed by his actions.

"I shall make it easier for you then" Dumbledore raised his hands, Draco quickly flicking away his wand.

"Draco, Draco" Dumbledore started. Draco's hand trembled but gripped his wand harder.

There was a click, indicating the coming of the other death eaters. Hermione turned around. She was about to see- is that black hair and a pair of glasses?

She looked more closely and realized that it was definitely Harry Potter

"Potter!" She whispered. He raised his wand at her but she put her hands up, as in a surrendering position. She hated to say this, but she needed Harry Potter. For him to save the bloody world again.

"Hide, the others they're coming!" She warned. Harry nodded and went into a corner which was hidden by all the shadows of the bookcases.

"There are others, with the vanishing cabinet. Draco. Years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices, please let me help you" Dumbledore offered.

"I don't want your help! Don't you understand? I have to do this, I have to kill you. Or he's going to kill Hermione".

Hermione. All the time Hermione was arguing with him, all the remarks she made to him came flooding back. She felt guilt, enormous guilt. The tone of his voice made her heart break, and she simply couldn't take it anymore.

"We can help you Draco, and Hermione, your family and hers. Join us and you will be safe"

If the choice was that easy, she would of definitely taken it. Why couldn't Dumbledore offer this choice a long time ago?

Draco's wand visibly lowered. Hermione raced up the stairs, wanting to be with him.

"Good evening Miss Gaunt" Dumbledore greeted. She clenched her jaws and walked over next to Draco.

"Thank you by the way for the warnings Miss Gaunt, they helped a lot" Hermione looked down at her shoes, it was unbearable to look him in the eyes.

"Are you two considering my options, hm?" Draco looked down at her, and opened his mouth.
"Can you-" but was quickly cut off.

"Huh look what we have here" Bellatrix's icy voice echoed through the towers. Chills ran down Hermione's spine.

"Well done you two" she congratulated, resting her chin on Draco's shoulder. He tensed up and raised his wand higher again.

"Good evening Bellatrix. I think introductions are in order wouldn't you?" Dumbledore calmly greeted.
"I'd love to Albus, but I don't think we have enough time" she walked around, arrogantly strutting on the wooden tiles.

"Do it!" She pressured making Draco's eyes turn cold and onto Dumbledore again.

"Doesn't have the stomach, just like his father, I'll finish it" someone insulted making Draco flinch. Hermione sent a glare at the man who just smirked.

"No! The dark lord gave him the order to do it! Draco, this is your moment. Now do it. Go on Draco, now!" She screeched.

Draco took a deep breath, but in his eyes were still fear. There was no way he could.

"No" Snape's monotone voice came, making them turn around. Draco quickly grabbed her hand and backed away from where he stood. Hermione stared confused, why was he here?

The wind gusted again, but went unnoticed. As if to get attention, it blew again harder. Hermione shivered slightly but kept her eyes intently on Snape.

"please" Dumbledore's soft voice pleaded. And that was all it took for Snape, a professor, a mentor, and a friend of Dumbledore to cast a spell that ended the head master's life.

"Avada Kedavra"