Chapter 58: Eliza

Start from the beginning

Not too long after I left with a smile on my face.

I went to town slowly, my head filled with thoughts of this afternoon with Eliza. I'd never felt so close to a person before. I didn't even think it was possible to love someone this much, so much it felt like an ache in my chest whenever she wasn't around. What I said by the lake was true, I didn't regret it. Not at all. I thought I might but I didn't. I loved her; why shouldn't I be able to give myself to her and her to me whenever we wanted to?

At least now we had permission.

"Blade," a deep voice called.

I started in surprise, looking up to see Father Jack in the open doorway of the church.

"Hello Father," I said immediately, bowing my head at him.

"Hello," he greeted, "Feeling better, I trust?"

Father Jack was a short man, slightly plump with a paunchy face. He was nearly bald and very wrinkled; some younger kids used to tell stories that he's been around since the dawn of time, and all sorts of other fairy tales. Parents usually caught wind of such stories and made sure their children never uttered a word of them again; in a small town like this certain things got around easily.

"Much better, thank you." I halted Prince by the door of the church. Odd. I didn't even feel guilty in the presence of the priest about what Eliza and I did.

"You spent the day with Miss Eliza, I presume?" his beady eyes probed my face in the near darkness. "Anyone else?"

I hated when he did that. He always asked questions when he already knew the answer, but you felt inclined to answer anyways. He had a habit of making people nervous; it was a good trait for someone bent on ridding the world of the red eyed demons called vampires.

Well now there's a thought. Maybe I don't feel guilty because he's killed so many of my kind.

"Yes, it was nice to see her again. I missed her," I said honestly. "I went nowhere else and saw no one."

"Hmmm. You do plan on marrying Miss Eliza, correct?"

I tried to hide my frustration. "Yes. I wouldn't have it any other way. I asked her father for his blessing this evening."

"Why not in a few years?"

"I want to be with her as much as I can; I've missed her these few weeks. Who knows how long we stay in this world? Her gone forever is something I can't bear. I rather not risk never having the chance to be with her." I grit my teeth. This annoying man will be the death of me. "I am afraid Father that I must go on. Mother will be displeased if I'm home too late."

"Ah, I see. Go child. Bless you," he said, his voice deep and eyes serious. He never once did smile.

I nodded and moved on, feeling his eyes boring holes in my back.

"Blade! It's late!" Mother scolded me once I got inside the house after caring for Prince.

"Sorry Mother, I lost track of time."

She bit her lip, "Well go to the kitchen then bed; it's late and you need to feed."

"Yes Mother," I said and obediently headed to the kitchen.

The next morning, when I headed out to the barn with every intention of going for ride, pass by Eliza's villa and tell her the news, I was suddenly blind sighted.

The scent of fresh blood filled the air, tainting the comforting smell of leather, horse and hay. It was early, only a few hands were up and about. And they were all crowded around Prince's stall.