"Oh yeah? We can find out if we're onto something back at the department."

"Wha-"

"Eat." Kid said sternly.

Demanding.

"I'm serious. That was the first file I found that didn't appear to be experiment notes." You said before taking a bite of your sandwich.

Kid hummed. "What was it then?"

"I didn't get a chance to really look at it." You gave him a pointed look.

"We can take a better look at it later." Kid paused, taking a bite from his food before speaking again. "But right now, we're taking a break."

I must've had too many meds flowing through my system when I invited him onto the case!

When you got back to the department Kid handed back your phone and went back to his laptop, waiting for you to pull the file up.

The file was definitely not about experiment notes. In fact, it was actually a contract detailing the distribution and supply of the drug 'smiley' among upper class clientele.

"Monet, the Mariejois Lawyer signed this, look." You moved closer to Kid so he could examine the contract.

Kid peered over the document before looking up.

"That only proves they were connected." He turned back to his laptop. "And, if I'm not mistaken, there was another individual involved with their operation. Someone with a lot of power too. Take a look."

You leaned over Kid's shoulder and frowned. There was a brief letter of thanks to;

"Donquixote? He specializes in weapons. Not drugs."

"Could be an alliance. As a mafia boss, Donquixote would benefit from having deep connections with a Mariejois lawyer, who, based on her contract, was working under Caesar, distributing 'smiles' among her clients and ordering the supplies to make more smiles."

"True, but he doesn't need to go through some crazy poison gas scientist to get the connection. He has other ways. Furthermore, he never enjoyed drug related crimes. Always thought of it to be "cleaner", to deal with weapons and loans."

"You sound as though you know him." Kid commented with an amused huff.

You were glad he wasn't facing you so he didn't see your neutral face falter for a moment. Evading the need to take a deep breath, you swallowed some before replying.

"I-uh- studied the different mafia families when I first became interested in joining the GCPD. Even though there's only one who occupies the city, it's good to learn about the others in case a problem arises."

Kid hummed, pretending he didn't hear you stutter at the beginning of your explanation and deciding not to press you for information yet.

"I would expect nothing less from a workaholic detective such as yourself." He teased.

"I'm not a workaholic, I'm driven by killer ambition."

Kid snorted before returning to the documents.

At the end of the day, you felt as though you barely made any progress. The files were great for evidence, but they confused you.

You looked up at your bedroom ceiling, struggling to go to sleep again. It was one of the cons of your job. You often times found yourself wide awake aching to know the answers to questions that came to your damn curious mind.