Chapter 9

You were more than ready to get back to work after your extended stay at the hospital. The chief and some of your co-workers preferred it if you took another day off, but you felt it was unnecessary. Especially since you lost two days' worth of time already. You didn't need to lose a third.

Kid was going to drop by the department sometime that day to finish going over the flash drive and help you evaluate your options for the case. You forgot to call in to let the department know he was working with you, so as soon as you set your stuff down you walked over to Margret.

"Hey Margret, I need a resources form. Turns out Kid is going to help me out on my case and I would like to make sure he's accommodated for his time."

"Oh, it's already taken care of! Kid called in yesterday to inform me. All that's needed now is your signature and I'll put it into the system."

"Oh. Great." Your eyes widened some in surprise.

You were about to walk off, but instead decided to ask the secretary to do you a favor. You looked around before leaning forward, supporting yourself on your forearms.

"Margret-" You began in a soft voice- "I need you to do me a small favor."

Margret gave you a small smile

"Anything."

***Small Time-Skip***

A tired groan rumbled out of you as you ran your hands down your face, leaning back in the chair you were occupying.

"Anything worth noting on your end?" You asked Kid.

You got a rough scoff from the red head.

I'm going to take that as a no.

The two of you were currently looking through the files on the flash drive. You split them up so you could get more work done faster. Too bad you were starting to develop a headache.

"How about a lunch break?" Kid looked up from his laptop.

"You can take one, I'm not too hungry." Just as you spoke, your stomach growled, causing you to flush slightly in embarrassment.

Kid chuckled.

"You sure about that?" Kid sneered.

You glared at him before huffing out a sigh and closing your laptop.

The two of you ended up going to a sandwich joint down the street. Once you ordered and sat down, Kid began to talk some.

"If we don't find anything to further the case in the files, we may need to-" Kid looked over at you, feeling like you weren't paying attention.

You were scrolling away on your phone, causing Kid to frown before he snatched your phone away.

"Hey!" You frowned up at him

"Stop scrolling through Facebook, I'm trying to discuss our options."

"I can multitask and I'm not scrolling through Facebook."

"Oh?" Kid looked at your phone.

"Give that back!" You hissed, reaching across the table.

Kid leaned back against the booth so your short arms couldn't reach him.

"You're looking at the files? The files we are supposed to be taking a lunch break from?" He cocked a non-existent eyebrow at you.

"I lost two days of work. I would like to get somewhere today and I think I might be on to something."