Chapter Ten : So Close Together Yet So Far Apart

« It feels like we're so close, yet it also feels like there's a wall between us »

"So how did you two meet?" Jared asked.

It's been three days since I woke up. I've been perfectly fine, so Jared insisted we all go out to lunch.

"We met online." Charlotte answered.

Charlotte had made up some story about how we'd met online and instantly became friends. Then after a few months we found out we lived in the same city, so we went to meet each other. One thing lead to another and now we're a couple.

I'm surprised he couldn't see that we were lying. How could he not recognize Charlotte as the missing patient?

"Interesting. Hey by the way, the boss is wondering if you'll come back to work soon Eliot." Jared said to me.

"In a few weeks I probably will." I answered honestly.

"Take your time. We've had less patients now since that one girl got out. Somehow the story was leaked and now everyone is taking patients to that other institution." Jared shrugged.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Charlotte had a small smirk on her face. Of course she'd find breaking the law and maybe even costing me my job funny.

"Well thank you for lunch Jared but me and Eliot have to go. We have a lot to do today." Charlotte said suddenly.

"Oh um ok. I'll see you guys around then." Jared smiled politely.

Charlotte grabbed my hand and dragged me outside.

"What?" I asked.

"I've been here for weeks Eliot. Now that you're healthy and fine, it's time to get back home." Charlotte said.

"Well how do you suppose we do that?" I replied.

"I know the location where I was thrown out from. Let's go there." She suggested.

Charlotte didn't wait for my reply before she started walking away. I sighed before following her.

"Where exactly were you thrown out?" I asked as I caught up to her.

"This little alleyway between Holland Pub and some old movie theater." She answered. 

It didn't take us long to arrive at the ally. Charlotte tensed up and looked around. Once she didn't see anything, or anyone, she relaxed. We walked further into the ally before Charlotte stopped and stared at the wall.

"Here." She spoke softly.

"Well now what?" I asked.

"We see if it's open I guess." She answered.

Charlotte extended her hand and touched the wall. Her hand went flat against the wall.

"Oh course." She mumbled as she stepped back.

"Can they heard us?" I asked.

"I don't know. Why?" She said as she looked at me.

I looked up and Charlotte followed my gaze. A group of ravens sitting on the roof and staring into the ally.

"Leave."

Charlotte and me looked towards the wall to see and man leaning against it.

"Emith." Charlotte said.

"Charlotte." The man, Emith, replied.

"Can we come in?" She asked.

"No way in hell." Emith laughed.

"Emith please, you know me. This is ridiculous! I'd never do it." Charlotte pleaded.

"I'm sorry Char. Rules are rules." He replied with a sad smile.

Emith finally turned to me. The look on his face showed that he didn't realize I was there.

"Is he him?" Emith asked.

Charlotte looked at me then back to Emith.

"Yes." Charlotte answered.

"Well Nixon says he can come in. Technically he didn't do anything wrong." Emith said.

"No way! I didn't do anything Emith and you know it." Charlotte yelled.

"So man, you wanna come in?" Emith asked, ignoring Charlotte.

Charlotte turned to me, anger clearly written on her face. Emith just had a smirk on his face.

"No thanks." I answered honestly.

Stepping into there was stepping into a world of monsters. I may be one of them, supposedly, but I'd rather stay here.

"Your loss man, it's fun here. You ever change your mind show up back here and I'll let you in." Emith said with a smile.

Emith turned around and walked right through the wall.

"Screw you Emith. I hope you rot in here." Charlotte yelled at the wall. 

☻ ❥ ☻ ❥ ☻ ❥ ☻ ❥ ☻ ❥ ☻ ❥ ☻ ❥ ☻

"How the hell." I mumbled to myself as I managed to burn another set of eggs.

Charlotte's melodic laughed echoed throughout the room. I turned around to see her watching me.

"My suffering is funny?" I asked.

"Yes. How can you not make eggs." Charlotte laughed.

"It's impossible ok!" I complained.

"Here, I'll make food." Charlotte suggested.

"Be my guest. Apparently I can't cook eggs for shit." I replied.

Charlotte got up and grabbed the eggs out of the fridge. She cleaned the burnt eggs off of the pan and cracked her new ones in. I watched as she moved around the kitchen gracefully. She paid close attention to the food and didn't look at me once. When she finished cooking the eggs she put some toast in the toaster. Charlotte moved to the hanging shelves above my counters and looked for something.

"Of course the peanut butter is on the top shelf. Stupid tall people." Charlotte mumbled under her breath.

I got up and stood behind her. My arms went on each side of her and I grabbed the peanut butter. Charlotte spun around and I instantly noticed how close we had become. Our chests were almost touching and if I moved my head just a little closer, we would be kissing. Our eyes met and we started at each other. It felt like I was getting lost in her bright blue eyes. Eyes that I could stare into forever. Suddenly Charlotte snapped out of whatever gaze she was in and pushed me backwards. I stumbled back and she raced upstairs.

So close yet so far. 

Chapter 10. Let me know what you guys think about it.

This book has recently hit 100 views. I know it's not much compared to my other books but so far I'm proud and happy with the way this book has turned out so far.

Q: Cats or dogs?

My answer: I love both.