An Untimely Return [S2:E3]

Start from the beginning

"Are you sure?" Sam asked. "Like, two-hundred percent positive?"

"Yes," I assured. "It was her."

Sam leaned back in her chair. "Did she see you?"

"I don't think so."

"You don't think so?"

"I was trying to figure out if it really was her, and her head popped up. But I turned to leave."

"Great." Sam stared at her lunch. "First, it's the whole Emma thing, and now Nikki is in town? Why is her appearance always so untimely?"

I frowned. "I don't know, but if she's around long enough, she's probably gonna hear about Jinx, and she's probably gonna pay you a visit."

"Awesome."

I studied my girlfriend and wondered what was really going on in her head. She was holding back, I could tell, but why? Was she afraid to upset me? Was she feeling things she didn't want me to know?

"What are you thinking?" I asked.

Sam's blue eyes found mine as her fingers traced through the condensation on her cup. I knew Sam and Nikki somewhat hated each other, but I had a feeling her confusion and sadness was stemming from something else.

"Nikki thinks that I'm a co-owner of Jinx and that we're not together anymore," she said. "She's gonna find out we're still together. She's gonna realize I'm a manager and not an owner. Oh, and not to mention the fact that multiple people in this town are aware that I was your student. And we don't even know why she's here in the first place."

I leaned forward and slipped my hand into hers. "It's going to be fine, Sam. Breathe."

I watched her struggle with her thoughts before gripping my hand in response. A deep breath filled her lungs and then she exhaled slowly.

"One day at a time," I ordered. "I may never run into her again. It's not like I'm gonna intentionally search for her on campus. And if she happens to go to Jinx, you don't even have to talk to her."

There was still something swimming in Sam's eyes, but I didn't know what for. Most of the time she was very open with me, but with difficult things she usually needed more times to get them out.

"If she's here for good, tell me it won't affect us," she barely whispered.

"It won't," I promised. "Sam, you know this."

She just nodded, but I could tell she was still on edge about it. She would be until we knew why Nikki was here, and for how long. Until then, it would bother the both of us.

I could only hope that Nikki would stay far away from Sam if she was sticking around.

* * *

My final class of the day seemed to drag on, and as much as I tried not to think about the whole Nikki thing, I just couldn't help it. It was almost as if I needed to know why she was here, but had no desire to run into her to find out. I wanted to stay as far away from her as possible.

I was making usual trek towards my car to go home, and the cold had started to let up now that the wind had stopped. The scarf that had been tightly wrapped around my neck now hung loosely over my shoulders, and left my face exposed to the sun that was attempting to warm the earth around me.

It was when I was searching for my keys that seemed to be buried at the bottom of my purse when I heard my name. The voice was distinct, and it made my skin grow hot.

I looked up to see Nikki staring at me from the same parking lot I was pacing through. Why was she still here? And why was she parked in the student employee lot? A deep sense of dread settled in my stomach.

"Nikki," I answered. "W-What are you...?"

She gave me a smile. "I could ask you the same thing."

A part of me wanted to dismiss myself, but the other wanted to know the truth. I wanted to know why she was here and for how long, and this seemed to be the only chance I would have.

I looked at the ground before pulling my eyes back up to hers. "You know I've always wanted to get my Masters."

"I know you wanted to get your Doctorate," she corrected. "Did that change?"

I shrugged. "Yeah. Too much school. I want to get on with my life."

"I feel that," she answered.

There was something different about her, but I didn't know what. I was too afraid to ask because I didn't want to seem like I cared. But she didn't seem as... out there as she used to be.

"What brings you to Mizzou?" I blurted.

"I accepted an adjunct position to teach an entry level marketing class." She sighed. "I got let go from the firm in California about three months ago and I found out the woman I was seeing was cheating on me, so I had to move out."

A part of me pitied Nikki and her situation, but then a part of me didn't. She had up and left me for this job, and they repaid her loyalty by letting her go. The whole cheating thing was still shitty, even for Nikki, but in a way, this was a form of karma in my eyes.

"I'm sorry," I replied flatly.

I watched her shiver as a gust of wind swirled between us. My hands fumbled with my keys as an indicator to Nikki that I was trying to leave.

"W-Would you want to grab dinner? Or a drink? To you know... catch up?" she asked.

I sighed. "I don't think that's a good idea."

Her head tilted. "Why not?"

"I'm with someone," I informed.

She raised her brow. "And they make your decisions for you...?"

I rolled my eyes. There was the old Nikki I knew so well.

"No. I'm choosing to tell you no." I looked past her. "The last time we 'caught up' we slept together, and then you left the next morning without even apologizing for up and leaving me."

My comment seemed to strike her, which resulted in a stiff nod and her stepping aside for me to leave, and I did without another word. It's not that I was trying to be an asshole, but I surely wasn't trying to give her the wrong idea. I had gotten the information I needed from her, and I needed nothing more.

But now that I knew, I wish I didn't, because I didn't know what this would mean for Sam. She would worry, I knew she would, and I would have to dodge Nikki because even if she was different now, her persistence was a trait that never faded.

So, I rushed home with a worry in my stomach about how my last semester would go and a burning desire to get the hell out of Columbia as soon as possible.

***A/N***

I know, I know. Updating two days in a row. Shocking. I'm shocked myself, actually, but I'm enjoying writing and getting these ideas out as soon as possible.

Plus, you guys have waited long enough, right?

If you are excited to see how Nikki's appearance will affect Segan, don't forget to comment and vote to let me know! And thank you all for the supportive comments, I truly appreciate every single one of you!

Much love,

Lauryn

The Everyday Adventures of Sam and Megan (GirlxGirl)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara