Season 3: Episode 20

| November 24 | Saturday Night |

~ Sam's POV ~

I grabbed liquor bottles and beer cases and handed them off to our barback for the night who continued to stack his cart. We were busy here at Crossroads, and it was nice to be distracted from everything going on outside of work. Of course, it was still strange to have to work around Jade, who refused to talk to me unless she needed something. Something like more alcohol due to her depleting reserve behind the bar.

"That should be enough," I said.

The barback nodded and took off with his cart of alcohol and headed to the bar.

I took my time heading back to the floor, knowing I wasn't necessarily needed right now. Then, as if the universe read my thoughts, I heard a voice through my earpiece.

"Sam, it's Jade. I have an incoherent patron and need security. Now."

"Shit," I mumbled to myself before radioing security. "Hey, I need Don to meet me with Jade, please."

"Copy," Don, our toughest security guard, answered.

I quickly made my way through the back and emerged out the kitchen, seeing Don's massive figure making his way to the bar. My eyes switched to Jade who was no longer mixing drinks, but rather shouting at a customer who was clearly instigating her. It seemed to be escalating by the second, so I rushed over.

"I paid for my ticket... to this damn show just like... everyone else!" he slurred.

Jade's panicked and angry eyes found me as she signaled to the man she had called us over here for.

"Now gimme a damn drink!" he shouted.

"Sir," I called over the noise. "I'm gonna have to ask you to leave the premise if you continue-"

"Who the fuck are you?" he asked sloppily.

"I'm the bar manager," I answered sternly. "And if Jade deems you too intoxicated, she's legally required to cut you off."

Don, who seemed already fed up with the guy, gave me a look, asking if it was time to throw him out yet. I sighed and shook my head. I had to at least try and reason with him before we went through extensive measures. But before I could, he proceeded to make his case worse.

"What's with all these uptight bitches!?" he hollered.

Then, he threw his empty plastic cup at Jade. There was nothing in it but ice and a tiny black straw, but it was a violent action. Jade looked up in fury, and I swore she was seconds away from jumping over the bar and pummeling the guy. I signaled for Don to escort him out.

"You motherfu-"

"Jade," I said. "Let's go outside."

"What? No! He just threw his fucking drink-"

"Stop," I demanded. "Because if you cause a bigger scene, I will have to fire you. Now, let's go."

As awkward as the encounter was with Jade, I knew it was the right thing to do. It was my responsibility to protect my staff, and if I let Jade get her way, I would have no choice but to fire her. So, instead of letting her do what she wanted, I escorted her out through the back.

She stormed out the back door and didn't bother holding it open for me. I watched her shakily reveal a pack of cigarettes and a lighter before placing one between her lips. Her anger was justified, but we as bartenders had to deal with stupid people all the time. We had to take a lot of things we shouldn't have to, so I would give her a minute to smoke and gather herself.