Two

The hallways were quiet. Not like Jaydess thought it would be otherwise, but something about it gave off an odd aura, one Jade couldn't quite figure out.

"I see you don't remember anything from before, huh?" The android Jade soon came to know as Megan spoke.

"Yeah, nothing," she lied but the android didn't need to know about what she knew and what she didn't.

Megan smiled to herself before glancing at Jade.

"You were being transferred," she mentioned. " Your master died."

Jade furrowed her eyebrows.

"My master?"

"You forgot? As a human you are meant to follow all of the androids' commands. That's how your life is and how it has always been."

"And what if I don't? What happens?"

The android gave Jade a sceptic look before she stopped walking to look at Jade, straight her eyes.

Megan's right eyes blinked from red to her normal blue again, an action she soon came to understand as a way androids scanned human thoughts.

Humans were meant to be transparent, easy to scan but Jade wasn't. She was a better actress than any robot would like to admit.

She had to learn how to act emotional and thoughtless because of her old master and so she could pretend she wasn't 'crazy'.

"I hope you are not thinking of something, Miss Harris. You do realise death is the only outcome, right?"

"Of course," Jade responded. "I was just wondering, no need to be worried, promise."

Megan scanned Jaydess once more before sighing.

"Fine. Just...don't disobey your master, please. I would feel terrible if I had to kill you."

Jade tried not to laugh.

Androids felt nothing, she knew that all too well. She knew Megan was lying but she didn't want to show it. So she just smiled in return.

"I won't...who is my master anyway?"

A smile crept up on her face.

"Miss Charlotte Jones. An amazing lady, she is. She lives not too far from here."

Jade thought for a while.

"What happened to her last human?"

"Huh?"

"To get a new servant, she must have done something to her last one."

"She did nothing to her last servant, Jaydess."

"Then what happened to her?"

The android chuckled.

"Aren't you a little too curious for a servant?"

Jade shrugged.

"I have a brain so why shouldn't I use it?"

The android shook her head in disbelief.

"You humans always surprise me."

"Trust me, we surprise ourselves more. Besides, you never answered my question."

"Fine, Miss Charlotte's old servant died. She had been ill for a while. Miss Charlotte did all she could but she still ended up dying."

"Well, I'm ill."

The android raised an eyebrow.

"You're ill?" She laughed a bit.

"Yeah. Anxiety and depression, they are mental illnesses. So yeah, I'm ill."

Megan laughed again.

"I thought you couldn't remember anything."

Jade gulped.

"Speaking about all this stuff is reminding me of my past."

"Oh, I see...Miss Charlotte will be here to pick you up shortly, okay? Want to stay in the cafeteria until she comes?"

Jade nodded enthusiastically.

"I could do with some did after...how long was I in a coma again?"

"A year, two months, three days, seventeen hours, eight minutes and fifty-eight seconds."

"Yeah...I haven't eaten in that long."

"Well, technically, we used a chemical called-"

"I just mean I'm starving, okay? You don't have to go into detail about everything."

"Of course. What would you like to eat?" Megan asked as they entered the cafeteria together and sat at a table.

"What is there to eat?"

Megan raised up her hand and instantly a hologram board came out of it. Thousands of different foods from different cuisines were displayed on the board.

"What do you recommend?"

"Lasagna. Or any type of Italian food. Italians always know how to satisfy a human stomach."

Jade chuckled a bit.

"Of course. I'll have the lasagna then."

"And to drink?"

The display on the hologram changed into a drink menu.

"I'll play simple. May I have a can of cola."

"Marvellous!" Megan uttered as the hologram disappeared and she placed her arms back to her sides. "Your order has been sent to the kitchen."

"Thank you," Jaydess smiled. "You know, you must be terribly busy and I bet you have no time for a measly human like me. You should go back to your work, I can handle myself."

The android smiled.

"How thoughtful of you. Only, I'm not as busy as you may think so I have all the time in the world to look after you."

"I couldn't possibly let you do that for me-"

"Jaydess, do you honestly think I would leave you alone over here? You are trying to escape."

"What? Of course not! I am appalled! How dare you think of me that way!"

"I have heard of you on so many different occasions, Jaydess. Every android has. You are special, you really are."

"I have no idea what you are on about."

Megan sighed as she stood up, another android approaching them.

"I have to leave now. But I just want you to know, I know you know everything. And I know you remember your past."

"How?" Jade asked, her tone suddenly serious but Megan only replied with a smile.

"I am an android, I know everything."