Chapter 6 - Clarion

Start from the beginning

Kalder abruptly stopped his blade just before it touched Cornar's armor. The burly warrior had amazing control, and his ability to pull the slice was a perfect example of his skill—especially since Kalder was enhanced with magic. If one weren't familiar with how one's body worked while enhanced, pulling such a blow would be difficult. This was not the case for Kalder.

"Match over," Gregan gloated. Cornar couldn't see his face, but he knew Gregan was grinning widely beneath his helmet.

Slow deliberate clapping echoed across the hemmed pasture, drawing his and the others' attention. Cornar craned his neck, looking around the fanisar still stuck in the dirt. A tall black-robed man stood near the half-fence, looking pleased with himself. He was obviously the source of the magics.

"I should have figured," Cornar said, rolling over on his side with a grunt. He flipped to his feet, standing beside his two subordinates. "That's cheating!" Cornar shouted, shaking his head. "Not fair, Iltar!"

"Oh, really?" Iltar said with a laugh, still clapping. "And when has battle ever been fair? You should know such things."

Cornar laughed and hurried across the pasture, Kalder and Gregan in tow. They soon reached the newcomer.

Iltar leaned against the half-fence, hands resting against one of the posts. He had bags under his eyes, but he smiled with anticipating glee. Cornar knew that smile. It meant only one thing. An adventure... Blast!

"You're here early," Gregan observed.

"And you look tired," Kalder said.

"I rode all night," Iltar said with excitement. "There's no time to waste."

Cornar could feel both Kalder and Gregan's eyes boring into the back of his head. They undoubtedly guessed at the purpose of Iltar's visit. Though Iltar often visited, he rarely did so this early in the morning. After all, the three of them hadn't had breakfast, and the ride from Iltar's home would have been a half day's journey.

"We need to talk," Iltar said, glancing to both Kalder and Gregan but set-tling his gaze upon Cornar. His expression asked, "Do they know that you're retiring?"

"Do you want to sit?" Cornar asked, climbing the fence. On the other side, he and Iltar stood face-to-face. They were similar in height, tall men—though Iltar was of a more slender build. Iltar was only a year Cornar's senior, but he looked a lot older, his hair gray, his face wrinkled.

"It doesn't matter," Iltar said, glancing again to the two younger warriors. "You decide. Pagus is escorting the horses to your stables. I told him to go see your wife after he finished. The boy is hungry. He kept complaining on the ride here."

Gregan laughed and climbed over the fence, followed by Kalder.

"Then we can talk out here," Cornar said, sheathing his weapons. "What's got you so excited that you rode here all night? You're obviously not here for Karenna's cooking."

"But she's such a good cook," Iltar retorted with a wink. "To answer your question, I've come on behalf of Krindal Heyardin—"

Gregan grunted. "That old fool? Uh, Master Iltar, his wild gosset chases aren't something to be excited about."

Iltar raised an eyebrow at Gregan but continued talking to Cornar. "Krindal's stumbled across something big. This will probably be one of the greatest expeditions of our century."

All three warriors remained silent, but they knew that Iltar wasn't one to exaggerate. And he was excited. Riding all night? Yeah, this was important.

"And what is he looking for?" Cornar asked.

"Krindal has been sailing the entire world, chasing after the remnants of an ancient Order called the Keepers of Truth and Might. He's found temples of theirs all across Kalda, twenty to be exact."