Chapter 31

————Alex's POV————

I feel a hand gently shaking my shoulder as my eyes flutter open. I see Dad. "They are finish working on him, but he is asleep," dad says Calmly. I hop up and quickly make my way to his room. The room is completely empty. I scoot a chair to the edge of the bed and sit down.

All these emotions are running though me. Thank god he is alive, thank god we have a doctor now, thank god he is asleep and can't see me here. I hear footsteps and turn to the door way to see Carol glaring at me.

I send daggers her way then turn back to Daryl. "What do you want Carol?" I ask annoyed but calmly. "To sit where you are, to be with him." She tells me. I groan, "Carol he isn't interested in you," I say.

"Not like he likes you. Besides he came and apologize to me and gave me a flower that reminded him of my little girl this morning." She says matter of factly. I turn towards her. "He... he did?" I ask, I hide my sadness.

She nods. I look down at him one last time. Then get up and let her have the chair. She sits and I walk out. I race up to my room in Herschel's house and shut the door. I sit on the edge of the bed and run my hands through my hair.

I sigh and lift my head as someone knocks on my door. "Come in!" I call. The door opens slowly and Lori walks in. "Hi Lori," I say. "Please Alex, call me mom," she says with a little pain in her voice. I look down at the ground.

"I can't," I say softly. The image of her and Shane replay in my head. I feel her sit next to me and look up. Our eyes meet. "I know I messed up," she starts.

"But I do miss him and what we had," she goes on. "Then why did you leave him, hurt him? He doesn't deserve it!" I state. Now she looks down. "I know," she whispers. "Shane just.... he was there and your father wasn't."

I stand up and leave Lori in the room. I head down stairs. I glance in Daryl's room and see him awake, and they are talking. I'm trying to decide if I should go in when I see her lean over and kiss his forehead. And he doesn't care.

I turn on my heels and walk towards the door. "Wait Alex!" I heard Daryl yell. Guess he saw me. I completely ignore him and walk over to the RV. Dale is on Watch. "Dale Im gonna go out and look for Sophia." I tell him.

He tells me to go to a certain spot because Daryl found a doll there and was going to tell us before he was shot. I nod and head into the RV to get a gun. As im grabbing my gun I see a rose on the counter and I realize its the one Daryl gave Carol.

I growl and rush out the RV. I start walking the way Daryl came back the day before. I stop a realize its been a whole night. it happened so quickly, he was shot, getting treated and I fell asleep. I sigh and shake my head and continue walking.

I get to the spot I believe Dale told me to go. Looks about right. The houses are a mess. Abandon. I imagine families here, Mothers hanging out on porches, watching the kids run around playing together. The Fathers in garages talking about cars and their jobs.

Boasting about who is stronger, smarter,  has better cars. Suddenly the people I was imagining stopped, and they were dead, walkers. Then they were just gone. I realize for the first time, truly, that I won't ever have a family.

I wont ever get married, won't ever be a mother. That this world went to shit and its not going back. I've known about this, but now.... it just truly hit me. I start walking again and make my way to a house. I walk to the front and from the side see the garage open slightly.

I duck under the entrance and I'm greeted with walkers, to many to count. "Shit..." I whisper as they start coming towards me. I back out and bang my head against the garage. I wince and continue to duck out. I stumble back and fall.

I quickly get up seeing not only ones crawling from the garage but emerging from behind building and stumbling down porch steps. I groan and start to run towards the farm. I suddenly realize I cant lead them there, so I run slightly a different direction, ahead of the walkers, and up a tree I go.

I sit up there and watch all the Walker walk by the base. They believe they are still chasing me. I let out a small sigh. They aren't going to camp are my first thoughts. Oh the trouble that would have happened if they went to camp. I shift around Quietly, trying to get comfortable for the night.

Man, it's gonna be a long night....