• • •

   After putting the pan into the oven, the boys excuse themselves to go the lounge room to play Xbox whilst Rye and I are left in the kitchen.

   “Why don’t you just play with the boys?” I ask him as I start to clean up.

   “Nah, I’d rather stay here with you.” he answers.

   I stop what I was doing and didn’t say anything, I could feel my heart beating faster.

  “Well, uh, I mean, the boys and I are always together so..” he stutters.

   I just nod and when I am about to carry the utensils over to the sink, Rye takes them from the counter and puts them into the sink. As I wash the dirty utensils and bowls, Rye walks towards me and suddenly wipes something onto my cheek.

   “What is that?” I ask and he just smiles at me.

  I turn the tap off and dry my hands on my sweatpants, before wiping my cheek and taking a look at it – it’s white powder which I assume is flour.

   “Ryan..” I scowl at him.

  He just smiles innocently and after a couple seconds, I wipe it on his cheek. He sprints towards the counter and wipes more flour onto my cheeks, causing me to gape at him. I smile, as I get a handful of flour and try to get back at him. After a couple minutes, I stop what I was doing when I realize that the boys became quiet. Rye probably got the same idea so he stops and when we look over to the doorway, we see the boys – peeking their heads behind the doorframe.

   “What are you four doing there?” I chuckle.

  Andy lets out a sheepish laugh, as he comes out from behind the doorframe and walks into the kitchen.

   “Nothing, we are just um, taking a look.” he says, looking at the boys and laughs.

   I just look at him and the boys follow him, walking into the kitchen.

   “Yeah, right, taking a look.” Rye scoffs, making the boys laugh.

   “I am just going to get some water.” Brooklyn says with a teasing smile on his face.

  He walks over to the fridge and pour himself a glass of water, whilst they tease Rye. Afterwards, the boys leave the room again and I go back to what I was doing whilst Rye continues to clean the counter.

  “Where should I put the containers?” Rye asks, looking at me as he puts them on top of the counter next to the sink where I am currently washing the utensils and bowls.

   I take them and stand on my tiptoes as I open the cupboard, struggling to put the dry ingredients back to where they should be.

  “Let me.” he says and just stands right behind me, taking the one that I am holding and put them into the cupboard.

  I just look down and when Rye stops what he was doing, I look over to my shoulder and up at him – he was just looking at me.

  “Alexandria, I have something to tell you.” he puts his hand down and take a step back.

   “What is it?” I ask, turning around to face him and put my hands on the edge of the counter as I look up at him.

  As he was about to say something, the timer of the oven went off.

  “Oh, wait a second, I’ll just take that out.” I say, smiling sheepishly as I walk over to the oven. “Just continue, Ryan.”

  “It is done?” Brooklyn asks, running into the room.

   “Yeah.” I chuckle as I take the mittens on top of the counter and put them on.

   The boys walk into the kitchen and take their own slices of brownies and when I look over at Rye, he looks rather upset.

  “What were you going to say?” I ask, as I walk over to him.

   “Uh, I already forgot.” he says in a flat tone.

   I look at him for a couple seconds and just let it slide. “Well, come on, let’s eat.” I say, taking his wrist as I walk towards the counter.

   Rye and I take a slice of brownies and we go to the Living room, where the other boys are. They just sat there on their cellphones, as they eat.

   “We still have a movie to finish, right?” Rye asks, looking at me with a smile.

  “Yeah,” I reply. “I forgot about that actually.”

   I sit down next to Brooklyn and turn the television on and switch it to the movie that I was watching earlier, starting it from the beginning for the boys to catch up.