Of course humans all have different fears, they're all scared of different things, but the feeling itself would always be the same. And Dakota... Dakota is scared. He seems like the type of person to not be afraid of anything, but I don't believe that, not for a second. There's bound to be something that he fears, but by the way he carries himself, the way he keeps his expression blank and his tone neutral, no one would be able to tell.

        I guess that's another thing to relate to.

        I shake my head at my own thoughts. I need to stop comparing myself to Dakota and finding relations between us because I'm basically just insulting myself.

        "So..." Dakota clears his throat awkwardly as he stands up, shrugging on his coat and slinging his school bag over his broad shoulder, getting ready to leave. He's been here for a few hours, since five o'clock at least. I don't have work tonight as I'm not needed. "Can I ask you a question that you may or may not find offensive?"

        "No," I tell him bluntly as I walk out of my bedroom and towards the stairs. Rey comes bouncing down behind us, almost tripping me up when he stops on the step in front of me. I nudge him with my foot lightly, urging him to continue. Fucking thing.

        Dakota's heavy footsteps are much different to my own softer ones as they trail behind me. He'd be terrible on a mission, I find myself thinking, the thought coming out of nowhere. We'd all been trained to be light on our feet, it was one of the most basics things we were taught, and I guess it had stuck with me. At times I'll stomp around purposely, relishing in my freedom, but most of the times I tiptoe around subconsciously.

        The blue eyed boy stands with his back towards the front door as we reach the end of the stairs, his hand holding on to the strap of his bag that hangs loosely off his right shoulder. "Why are you now just learning how to read and write?" He wonders, his eyebrows were slightly furrowed, though his expression is mostly blank.

        "What the fuck was the point in asking me if you could ask a question, just to fucking go ahead and ask anyway even after I told you no?" I snap irritatedly.

        "Formality."

        I roll my eyes at him as my jaw ticks. "English isn't my first language. I guess I'm still getting used to it." It technically isn't a lie. English isn't my first language and I am still getting used to it. However, I'm only now just beginning to learn to read and write because I never had the chance to before. It also isn't just English words I have trouble with, either; my literacy in Spanish is no better.

        Dakota nods his head slowly, almost reluctantly. "Alright, well, I'll see you later... or something," he mumbles gruffly, running one hand through his blonde strands of hair.

        I step around his large frame and open the door wide enough for him to pass through as I scowl at him. "I'd there you didn't," I say, watching him exit, his feet hitting the ground outside. He shakes his head at me before turning his back.

        I don't know what compelled me to do it as I mumble out, "Don't die tomorrow," but the words fly out of my mouth without a second thought.

        His smile is barely noticeable but it's there as he answers: "Thanks... I needed that," and then he gets into his car and drives away.

___

        The weekend flies by quickly, much to my annoyance, and I'm back in school on Monday morning with a pounding headache.