Thor approached the table and greeted his companions.

"Good evening, Jane," grinned and bent down to kiss a short, dark-haired woman.

I recognised the name, Jane Foster was a mortal from Midgard whom Thor had fallen in love with some eighty years before. Not content with living so few years with his mortal wife, Thor had somehow managed to perfect an elixir which allowed Jane to live longer, she wouldn't live forever, but it was enough.

Thor gestured to me, "Jane, this is my new squire, Fell."

"My Lady," I bowed and she grinned.

"It's great to meet you, Fell. You'd better make sure you look after my husband," she warned in an odd accent.

I couldn't help but smile, she was truly beautiful; with long chestnut hair and large brown eyes that seemed to sparkle with friendly warmth. I could see why the mighty Thor had fallen for her.

"I will endeavour to, my Lady."

Thor sat down in a chair in the middle of the long table, with Jane and Fandral at his sides. Remembering that I was to keep my distance at such a private gathering, I stood at the wall, at least four meters away from the table, and bowed my head. More people arrived, but as I was keeping my eyes down, it was difficult to place the voices. Thor greeted his mother and a few more of his close knights until finally, they all sat down long enough for the servants to continue with their duties, bringing through trays and plates of copious amounts of delicacies.

"Where is Odin, Mother?" Thor asked when Odin did not show.

Frigga took a sip of her wine, "He apologises for his absence, but he had some things to attend to and wished to dine in his study tonight," she replied.

I relaxed a little at this news, for some reason I was not ready to be in the presence of the King of Asgard just yet.

They continued to converse among themselves and I paid little attention, staring down at the ground, but after a few minutes, I began to feel that familiar sensation in the bottom of my stomach. I took a deep breath for what I knew was to come and edged my way slightly further into the shadows.

Peeking up from beneath my lashes, I tilted my head just in time to see the God of Mischief enter through the doorway to my left. He had not yet seen me, so I took this time to finally observe his features. He was the exact opposite of his brother in every way. While they both were tall - Thor was stocky and heavily built but Loki was lean and graceful with incredibly long legs. His jet black hair pooled on his shoulders in waves, contrasting with his alabaster skin. My eyes drifted up and rested on his face a little too long; high cheekbones, sculpted jaw, straight nose, and sparkling green eyes that twinkled mischievously. Those eyes, so striking and vibrant against his pale skin and dark hair. While he was far less masculine than his brother, he was no less handsome.

Remembering that I did, in fact, need to breath, I averted my eyes back down to the floor and let out my shaking breath. Loki's footsteps were light as he walked along the table towards his mother.

"I'm sorry I'm late, Mother," he apologised and kissed her cheek, sitting down in the empty chair beside her. I closed my eyes as a trickle ran up my spine. His voice. So deep and articulated, but with an underlying sense of amusement, as if he was in on a joke that nobody else was partial to.

After it had been so long since Loki had tried anything to take the throne the people of Asgard assumed, or hoped, that he was no longer a threat. But there was something about his voice, beneath all the charm, that glinted with dangerous animosity.

The uneasy feeling I was having stayed with me for the duration of the evening, but the sensation of dizziness never once appeared, although I was sure that Loki had spotted me in the shadows. I hoped that my earlier assumptions about his telepathic abilities had just been my imagination and that my secret was safe. But I could not rest easy; I could feel his eyes on me, those startling green eyes that seemed to never miss a thing. If he could not discover my secret through my thoughts, he may be able to with his ever-watchful eyes.