No Going Back

Eddie did his best to hold Detective Owen's gaze, but it felt like he was in a staring contest while a bee stung his eye.

"Tell me again," Detective Owen said, his notepad put aside, fingers drumming his knees. "What you heard Steve say."

Eddie thought of Steve, mocking him about the photos he found, blaming him for all the times when Will got hurt. He thought of Steve with his arms around Will in the window. And he thought of Steve's fake smile, the one he had probably used on other kids, just like Will.

"I know this is hard, Eddie. But every little detail—"

"He said if they weren't kids, he would have killed them." Eddie stared directly into Detective Owen's eyes, channeling his hatred. He could almost see the words floating in the air as Detective Owen's pupils dilated.

The walls of the room expanded, and the air grew cold.

Detective Owen glanced down at his notepad, chewing his lip. "Eddie, I want you to make sure and think really hard before you commit to that answer. This situation is very serious, do you understand?"

Eddie managed a nod.

"So I'll ask you again. Are you sure that you heard Steve say those words?" Detective Owen sat back in his chair, crossing his arms. Eddie had seen this look before. When an adult thought he had the best of you. Condescension. So sure that they were in control of the situation and that they knew every thought, every motive. Because you were just a child and small minds mistook things. Exaggerated things. Fabricated things.

"Yes," Eddie said.

The detective exhaled through his nose, his eyes narrowing. "Thank you, Eddie. You've helped us out a lot today. It takes a lot of courage to do what you just did."

Detective Owen's face went in and out of focus.

Eddie rubbed his eyes and sat up in his chair. "C-can I go now?"

"Of course you can." The detective held out a business card. "If you need anything, or think of something else you may have forgotten to tell me about, please give me a call. I'd love to meet your parents, too, to tell them what a brave son they have." Eddie stared at the card, wondering what it would be like to have parents who thought he was brave.

Eddie took the card, but the detective's hand remained outstretched. "It was a pleasure meeting you, Eddie." Eddie shook his hand, attempting to match the man's strength.

Mr. Kind led Eddie out of the room. "Ms. Acherman will see you back to class, Eddie. And remember, if you or your parents have any questions, my door is always open."

Ms. Acherman stood up from the bench where she had been waiting during the interrogation. Her hands gently pressed against Eddie's back, and his feet moved with the encouragement. "Today should be fun," she said. "We're writing stories. Will has told me what a great storyteller you are. You know that ..." Her voice drifted off to a place that was quieter than Eddie's thoughts.

The words had been difficult to say, but he had done it. He was brave, just like Detective Owen had said.

But he hadn't expected bravery to feel likethis.