"Well no shit. Do you mind telling me exactly how I ended up here, while I'm resting?"

Law sighed, but remained quiet for a few moments.

Your senses were starting to wake up and you were now able to register the brace around your right wrist and take notice of a familiar red head sitting in one of the chairs behind Law, wearing his signature scowl.

"Kid?" Your brow furrowed.

"Detective." He acknowledged with a low voice.

Law turned to glare at Kid.

"You have been dismissed Eustass-ya and visiting hours are over."

Kid glared at Law before turning to you. Deciding he was too tired, he got up and left. "See you around, detective. Trafalgar." He acknowledged Law with venom in his voice before he slammed the door to your room closed, causing you to jump.

You were a little miffed your cousin had chased Kid out. Nonetheless, Law could probably fill in the blanks for you himself. Besides, you knew where to find Kid if you had any more questions. On that note, you turned to Law expectantly.

Law sat down before speaking. "What's the last thing you can recall?"

"Falling asleep in the car with Kid driving and my legs burning so much, they began to feel numb."

"That happened yesterday evening. You have been out for almost a day."

Law filled you in on how Kid barged into the hospital with your unconscious body in his arms demanding a doctor. How the GCPD was called in to quarantine the warehouse district and ambulances were dispatched to treat those affected before the quarantine. How Specialists looked you over in order to treat your injuries and find an effective treatment to nullify the poisonous gas filling up the warehouse district.

He even informed you of the officers sent in protective suits to explore the warehouse, finding the gas had been set off via motion sensor and if the correct code was typed into the computer, the warehouse's defenses would've ceased and the control panel would've unlocked, revealing a few grand and some drugs.

"There was also a flash drive. Do you have it or did someone from the GCPD pick it up?"

Law frowned. "I don't recall finding a flash drive on you."

"Someone from the GCPD may have it then. It could've been left in my car as well."

Or maybe Kid has it.

A few silent moments passed between the two of you before Law spoke up.

"(Y/n)-ya, I want you to drop the case. It's become too dangerous."

"Too dangerous? Law, this is my job. The officers of GCPD put their lives on the line every day to bring justice and keep the city safe! I knew what I was getting into when I signed up."

"I'm well aware." Law said lowly. "Do I need to voice my concerns about your job again?"

You stayed silent, glaring at him defiantly.

"You almost received permanent damage from your recent endeavor! And probably would have died if it hadn't been-" He ran a tattooed hand over his face- "I can't believe I'm about to say this-If it hadn't been for Eustass-ya."

"Law I-"

"I want you off the case."

...

"No."

"(Y/n)-ya-"

"No, Law! Whoever is behind this needs to be taken down! It's my case and I'm in too deep to pass it off to someone else! And for the last time this is my job! I know what I'm doing!"

The two of you glared angrily at each other as a thick silence hung in the air.

Law wanted to say more, but this wasn't the first time the two of you argued about your occupation. He always brought up the same points, and you always acknowledged them but never made an effort to leave the GCPD and go into a safer job.

Still glaring, Law slowly got up and turned to leave. He paused for a moment when he reached the door.

"To ensure you are fully recovered, the doctor is keeping you another day. You will be released tomorrow evening." Law growled. And with that, he turned off the lights and left you alone.

Sleep didn't come without difficulties. Your thoughts were swarming around wildly. You hated fighting with Law, but you could acknowledge that his concerns were valid. The two of you had known each other for so long and had been through so much together. He was the only family you had now. Neither of you wanted to lose the other.

Your mind also drifted to the other night, your brow furrowing as you recalled what Kid said.

< "...these guys would only blow their shit up as a last resort..."

"You seem to know a lot about what you're doing." You said.

"I hope you're not trying to imply something detective." He snarled.

"I'm not. I just didn't expect you to have this much knowledge on how drug operations work.">

He did know a lot. Too much for him to just claim it was from bounty hunter experience. Did he know something? He did agree to come with you to the warehouse. If he is something more than just a bounty hunter though, he probably isn't involved in your case, otherwise he wouldn't have saved you.

Right?

Attempting to clear your head you turned over, closing your eyes and waiting for sleep to take you.