Volume 4: Menagerie

Start from the beginning

My eyes suddenly went wide open, and unintentionally let out a large gust of chilly wind around me and for an unknown reason a beam of silver light emitted out from my eyes as I screamed, knocking Ruby, others and my team on the walls around the room. I looked around to see the room looks it had been ransacked, with Ruby, Nora, Jaune, Tenka, Mitchell, Rachel and Ren nursing where they are hurt. The door to the room slightly opened as the other occupants of the inn peeked though it.

Me: Guys.. I'm.. I'm...

Before I could even finish my apology, I took my weapon, gears and my back packs, then broke off into a sprint and left the room.

Ruby: Shadow, wait!

Jaune: Ruby! No! Let him go! He needs his own space!

Jaune tried holding her back, but she pushes him off of her and uses her Semblance to quickly leave the room and starts following you out of the inn and into the moonlit forest. Ruby was hot on my tail as I ran through the forest.

Ruby: Shadow!

I didn't care. I just wanted to be alone right now. The nightmares were getting too much for me to handle, and there was only one place where I could feel at ease. A place where someone I know could help deal with the nightmares like she always did for the past months. I had to get back into my mother's domain. Ignoring Ruby's call, I desperately tried summoning a ball of magic that would take me into my mother's domain with my hands, while running ahead.

Me: Come on, come on, come on! OPEN YOU SON OF A--

I focused my Aura between my hands as I tried summoning it. After a few tries, I finally managed to summon the troublesome ball.

Me: Yes!

The ball glowed brightly between my hands as it illuminated the forest. I looked back to see Ruby still chasing me, only with an amazed look on her face, which only slowed her down. I gave her an apologetic look as I threw the ball into the ground, summoning the portal and ran into it. No sooner than I did, the portal instantly closed, turning the forest slightly dark again. Ruby collapsed down on her knees out of exhaustion, not believing at what she just saw. 

Ruby: What... was that???

---TIMESKIP---

Graphite's POV:

An air horn sounds loudly. The offramp is slowly lowered on the ship bearing Blake, Sun and I to allow passengers to disembark. The town has many small buildings and homes set among dunes and palm trees. A loud clanging of bell from the town bell is heard ringing from its belfry.

Sun and Blake make their way from the deck to the offramp. Blake proceeds without pause while Sun stop to look at the town, and as for me, Ilooked at the town in awe.

Me: Menagerie... Good to be back.

Sun: Huh.