Chapter 7: Truth Comes Out (Taemin POV)

~ ~ ~

"Taemin oppa, I like you a lot! NA DANGSHIN JOH AH HAEYO! Lee Taemin, SARANGHAEYO!" Naeun called out loudly even though we were in a public place.

I couldn't believe it. After all that happened to me last night, I actually wanted to tell her the truth first before she got even more confused, and perhaps heartbroken. Don't get me wrong, Naeun is a perfect yeoja for me, and I myself have been wanting to confess discretely too...

But this was all too sudden. Plus, she was not just any girl I met by accident. There was a deeper story to that.

"Oppa...gwenchana?" she asked anxiously.

"Naeun..." I admitted. "It's not that I don't like that confession..."

"But...what exactly...?" she probed.

Well, I've got to tell her soon enough...makes me wonder if looking into that thumb drive of hers was a good idea. Oh well, for better or worse...

"The girl I've been writing my story about...is you!" I cried. "YOU!"

You heard me. It was her! I literally found that out in the wee hours of the morning. It was the reason I could not sleep peacefully and the reason why I perspired this morning.

(Flashback)

Once I came across that folder, I opened it and was surprised to find no pictures. Not that it was odd at first.

Among the few documents, I found something labelled 'diary'. It was really tempting to open it, especially because this was her personal stuff here. Eventually, I opened the word document since I felt that there was no harm as long as I kept it to myself.

Though initially there was nothing much, since it dated back to around 2000, when Naeun was seven, all of a sudden, it came like a bomb in an entry from 2003...

(~Diary Entry~)

January 22nd 2003

At school, I met this really polite student. It was raining on my way to class so the floor was slippery. I slipped and fell and had a bruise on my knee. Suddenly, this boy comes up running towards me and offers to help me up. Omo, he's so kind~ like a knight in shining armour.

He introduced himself as 'Taemin'. Such a fitting name for a boy like him. He actually lent me his jacket because he could see I was feeling cold. I was so shy then.

I found out he's a year older than I am. Jeez, now my chingus are going to get interested in this. Aigoo, so embarrassing...

(~Diary Entry End~)

That triggered my long forgotten memories of my childhood. I had long since never understood why I could not bear to remember my elementary school years. But now after looking at that entry, Naeun's young face slowly visualised in my head.

My eyes now shed tears as I remembered the happy times I shared with Naeun from young. Her next few diary entries then talked about them, such as picnics in the park, sitting on our favourite swings in the school playground, supporting each other at different sports events and performances (I played football while Naeun took up drama), and much more.

But the very last entry was what set me into emotional discomfort.

(~Diary Entry~)

February 25th 2004

These days, Taemin ssi does not talk to me anymore. I hardly see him around in school. Perhaps because I'm too shy to approach people and aske where he was...