Chapter Thirty-one

Reborn: The Boy Who Discovered He Wasn't

by SabrynaBrooklynne

Chapter 31

===========

"Hi Carol," Taia greeted, as she stood outside Carol's front door.

"Taia, come in. . . Please, have a seat."

Taia took a seat on the sofa and Carol moved to the kitchen to retrieve two glasses of wine. Returning she handed one to Taia, then settled into the recliner.

"So what is it that you wanted to talk about, Taia?"

"First of all, Carol, I want to say that I wasn't trying to snoop or eavesdrop, but now that I know, there's something I have to tell you."

Taia saw the puzzled look on Carol's face and added, "You'll understand in a moment, bare with me. I was afraid to tell you before. Actually, I've never told anyone before, but now that I know I can, I have to share this with you. This is difficult, so difficult, but something I have to do."

"Taia, I want you to know that you can tell me absolutely anything. Please, continue."

"Thank you, Carol, that means a lot. . . Well, first off, while Becca and Jessica were eating lunch and watching a movie I went out to clean up by the pool where they had been hanging out. While I was out there I picked up a notebook that was lying open on one of the loungers. I had no intentions of reading it. I thought it was one of Becca's notebooks and when I looked at it I saw the first line of the open page. It said, 'I feel like no one understands at all what it's like to be a boy and suddenly find out you're not normal and have PAIS."

Carol's mouth dropped open and she began to shake. Tears started to form in her eyes and she fought to hold them back as Taia continued, "Carol, what caught my eye first was the acronym PAIS, because I just happen to know what it stands for; Partial Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome. So, the next thing I did was look at the cover to see the name on it, but there wasn't one. I knew it wasn't Becca's so it had to be Jessica's. I opened the front cover and there, written across the first page was a title that read, 'The private, personal thoughts, feelings and questions of Jessica Conners."

"Taia I can explai---," Carol began before she was interrupted.

"Carol, please, let me finish first." Taia paused and let out a sigh. "Where to start?... Well, Carol, Becca doesn't know this, but I'm not her biological mother."

"So she's adopted? Don't you think she has a right to know eventually? When are you going to tell her?"

"I don't know, soon I'm sure." She stopped and turned to look out the window, in the direction of her house across the park, where Rebecca and Jessica were safely out of earshot of the conversation now taking place.

She thought about Carol's comment for a moment and then, still looking out the window, she continued, "Carol, soon after Becca was born her mom left town, leaving Becca with her father. She left a note saying that she just wasn't ready to raise a child and that she wouldn't be returning.

"Her father was left with a child that he loved very much but didn't want to raise alone so he set out to find someone that would make a good mom for Becca. I met him about four months after her mom skipped town. We started dating and things were going well. I fell in love with him and wanted to marry him and he felt the same. It was a whirlwind romance, I guess you could say. There was a problem though, he didn't know where Becca's mom was living so he could get her to sign divorce papers. We ended up deciding we would just move in together while he attempted to locate her.

"He hired a private investigator to find her and three days into the investigation we find out that Becca's mom was dead. She had killed herself a week after leaving them, drunk and high on meth, she drove her car off the highway and down a steep embankment. Slammed her car into a large tree. They said she was dead on impact."