Up In Flames

"So, I was watching the news and ya know how the craziest things always appear on the news? Yeah well I saw something insane." Jerome's voice lowered and he turned to Dwight, "I saw My Alaska Rose taped up and you actin' like she was yours. Now I gotta say Dwighty boy, it ain't lookin' good for ya."

"I-I swear I didn't mean anything-" Dwight tried to begin, but J cut him off.

"Dude, I've been dead for a while you really think I wanna hear your voice? The answer would be no. I think Laskie can fill me in." Jerome looked to me with his excitement filled eyes scanning my face and I quickly told him what happened.

"I was jumped in the street my Dwight and his goons. They knocked me out and brought me to where they were trying to wake you up. I didn't think it worked, but obviously it did. He wanted to slice your face off and where it like a Halloween mask, but I didn't let them. He brought me to the news building and told me I was his now cause he was the new you. J I got real scared and I'm pretty sure you know what happened next." A tear fell down my cheek as I recounted my story and Jerome leaned over to gently kiss it off my face.

"Now see Dwight ya made my girl cry, why'd ya have to go and do that?" Jerome then let out a crazed laugh, a laugh I thought I'd never hear again.

"One thing you're leaving out Alaska." I looked to him puzzled trying to remember what I'd forgotten.

"The name of whoever cut your neck. I want their name." I felt my neck which was still slightly bleeding.

"Oh, it was him. Dwight," I said as though it didn't matter.

"Alright thanks doll, don't you worry about a thing. Now, I'm gonna take you home and then Dwight and I will have some fun." His sadistic laugh rang throughout Gotham.

•*•*•*•

"Alaska, Alaska are you okay?" Came my twin's voice from my phone.

"I take it you saw the news?"

"Saw the news! Of course I saw the damn news. That psycho had you taped up like an art project. Look, I'm on my way over right now okay." Her tone was final, but I didn't want her in the middle of Jerome's madness.

"No Potter. I'm at the apartment and I'm fine. Jerome's alive, just like with Galavan, J came back. He's got something nasty planned and I don't want you out and about okay?" I knew I sounded crazy but I needed her to believe me. "Stay with Jeremiah, in that stupid metal box underground. At least that way I know you'll both be safe."

"Okay Alaska, but if he hurts you - if anyone hurts you - they'll have hell to pay." She had that tone of voice that scared me when I thought too much on it, the tone that showed she might have the same darkness I try to hide.

"I wouldn't expect anything less from you. Goodnight Potter, I'll talk to you tomorrow."

"Good night idiot, I love you."

"I love you too Potty head."

I didn't watch the news that night, I didn't want to know what Jerome was doing. All I did know was that shortly after my conversation with Potter there was an explosion and then the lights went out. It was in that moment that I was glad I took Jerome's warning to heart, and had lit the apartment with candles as soon as I got home.

•*•*•*•

"Laskie, hey Laskie..." A warm voice cooed in my ear.

"Whoever That is better have a damn good reason for waking me up."

"Here I was thinking not being in Arkham was good enough." I opened my eyes to see Jerome siting in my bed with a pouty expression.

"It is... but why would you have gone to Arkham?" He opened his mouth to smart off, "Besides the obvious of course. What did you do last night?"