I giggle as he swims around my legs, rubbing against me affectionately before poking his head out of the water to meet my E/C eyes. I give him a smile as he grabs my hands and tugs lightly, ushering me to kneel. With the water now up to my chin, the fish man found it easier to connect his lips with mine. My eyes widen significantly as I instinctively grab his shoulders and pull away. Red paints my cheeks as I look at his wide smile.

That was a real kiss. He wasn't doing it to transfer air, it was to... I feel my cheeks begin to heat up as I stand up once again, covering my mouth with my hand. I sit down on the staircase to collect my thoughts as Neil swims closer to me. Giving a joy-filled chirp, the creature presses his forehead against mine like he did yesterday. His muscular arms trap me between them as he waits in that position, likely wanting me to do something.

"I-I don't understand what you want me to do," I admit in a small voice. A low purr erupts from his throat as he makes the tips of our noses touch. The creature waits patiently with closed eyes as his warm breath blows against my lips. I want to pull away, but, at the same time, I couldn't. Then, a thought came to mind. It made me gulp nervously.

'I think I understand what he wants.' I hesitate to close the gap between our lips and remain attached for a mere moment before pulling away. Neil looks stunned, but smiles widely soon after. He dives into the water before swimming a few laps out of happiness, while I remain on the steps, faintly touching my lips while deep in thought. The kiss had left a slight tingling sensation on my skin. I imagine my cheeks are bright red, but I couldn't help but wonder,

'What is a kiss to him? Is it a romantic gesture or just a happy one?' I shake my head and get out of the water to sit on the ledge of the pool near a bag of sand. An idea comes into my head as I pour the leftover sand onto the floor in a small pile. I then dip my hands in the water before molding the minerals into the shape of a castle.

I barely notice Neil coming closer to watch until he folds his arms on the ledge beside me. I smile at the creature as he rests his head on the limbs before returning to my sloppily made castle. When I'm done, I place my hands on my lap and admire the structure. The merman looks between me and the pile of sand before grabbing a shell off the floor and sticking it onto the side of the castle. Laughing lightly, I ruffle the creature's hair, making him purr.

When I go to pull away, however, he grabs my hand and places it back on his head. Smiling, I tangle my fingers into his shoulder-length locks and note that soon he'll need a haircut soon. I still remember watching my father cut his hair for the first time. The longest I've ever seen it was midway down his tail, but, after that, we've made sure it didn't go too far past his shoulders so that it wouldn't get caught on anything. I remember that, when the black strands dry, they feel softer than rabbit fur.

Even when wet, it has a similar texture, which is why I like to pet him like this. Neil got quite attached to the action too it seems. After awhile, I pull my hand away, causing the scaly beast to pout lightly in disappointment, but the expression changes quick when he sees that I'm about to destroy my sandcastle to start a new one. My hand is grabbed before I could even touch the structure. Neil whimpers while shaking his head, his way of saying he wants to keep it.

I smile and nod my head in understanding before putting my hand down. I then notice his gaze moving to my neck, or rather, the shiny, new whistle worn around it. His eyes narrow in hate at the object before he suddenly rips it off. I yelp as I lurch forward from the action before falling into the pool with a large splash. I cough up water once I resurface and watch as Neil chucks the whistle across the pool to the deep end. I hear it clink upon hitting the rocks and a splash before it sinks into the salty liquid. I groan in frustration.

"I just got that too," I mutter before bringing a hand to my head. I hate that he's developed a habit of dragging me under the water. I keep getting headaches because of it. I hear a whimper before my hand is pulled away. I find a look of concern on the fish man's features and give an assuring smile. I bring my hand back to my head, though, to rub my throbbing temples. Worriedly, Neil guides me back to the ledge so that I can sit. "Sorry. The water gives me headaches sometimes. That's why I don't like it when you pull me under like that."

Neil looks down, upset, before diving and swimming away to the deep end. I'm left alone for a few moments before he returns and holds out... my whistle? I take it from his webbed fingers and look it over. It seems fine, just dented slightly. I give a smile and ruffle the creature's hair.

"Thank you, Neil." The merman coos softly before resting his head on my lap and waiting for me to pet his hair. I do what he wants and twirl one of the dark strands before wandering down his neck and spine. His back is a little boney, but I can feel the muscle he has along with his tough scales. He shivers at my touch and pushes more against my body. He rolls his tongue in content and shuts his eyes, making me chuckle softly.

However, as I sit there, my thoughts begin to drift back to the kiss we shared. It felt loving, but was it really meant to be that way? I couldn't possibly be with him in that way; it'd be a crime against nature. Even if I was, I'd only hold him back. Being human, my abilities in water are limited. I could never swim like he could; I can't hold my breath for days on end, and I certainly won't live as long.

The relationship would be difficult, especially if I brought him back to the ocean. The thought saddens me. I love Neil a lot. I never thought about him romantically, but what if he had? If he was human, I suppose I wouldn't be as opposed to the idea, since he's sweet and caring, but he's not. It wouldn't be right. I sigh softly as I run my fingers over his shoulder blades.

'Why couldn't he have been human?' Neil lifts his head when a drop of water lands on his cheek. His hand then lifts to my face before he wipes the tear stream with his thumb. I didn't even realize I was crying. My breath hitches at his touch before I pull away and wipe my eyes.

"I-I should get going." I try to slip away from the creature only for him to grab my hand and whimper in protest. "I already told you, I can't just stay here." The creature gives me sad eyes to pull at my heartstrings, causing me to groan. I can't just keep giving him what he wants. Eventually, I'll have to go home. I shake my head at the male.

"You know I'll come back, don't you? I'd never leave you." My eyes widen some when I realize something.

'Does he think I'll disappear like dad did? Is that why he's been like this, why he doesn't want me to leave?' There's a chance I'm wrong, but it does make sense. I'm all he really has. If I'm gone, he'll be all alone. I softly caress his cheek in a comforting manner.

"Don't worry. I will always come back to you no matter what." I give the fish man a smile and feel his grip loosen some. Neil lets me slip away without further dispute. "I'll see you tomorrow, okay? How about I give you a snack before I go?" I swipe a live fish from the small pool before tossing it into Neil's pen. It darts off, but I'm left confused when he doesn't chase after it. I tilt my head some with a quirked brow. He always eats what he's given. "Don't you want to eat?" Neil lowers his head while holding onto the edge of the pool, only showing his black eyes and the top of his head. He wouldn't look away from me.

"S-s-s-" My brows knit together upon hearing the odd, hissing sound coming from the fish creature. It sounds like he's trying to say something.

"What is it? Is something wrong?"

"St-st-st-" was all the sound he could make before shaking his head and giving up. The next I know, the merman's under the water and hunting the frantic fish in his territory. I hum softly, finding his behavior strange and bend down to pick up my clothes. I continue to worry about Neil all the way home.

'What's gotten into him lately?'