CHAPTER FOUR

My Salma (she calls me that when ever she wants something from me), I want you to know that whatever I or your father choose for you is for your own benefit. Perhaps nursing is a good course Salma. I always wanted to be  a nurse when I was younger, but here I'm a "full time house wife" she air quoted it and smiled bitterly.

Oh I see! Is that why you and baba decided to dictate my future??? Because you want it? That is selfishness mum.. It is! You all know I hate hospitals and despise everything about it. Mama I'm hematophobic, I hate needles, I hate seeing people sick mom, you know my dream of becoming an architect, you know! You know all these but you still chose your happiness over mine. I blasted looking away from her.

Salma yanzu ni kike fada ma haka.. Woah! Ni selfish? Your mom? The woman that carried you in her womb for good 9 months, gave birth to you bearing all the pains and hardships? Breastfed you and brought you up with love and affection? Loves you and is ready to sacrifice her all for you? I should've known earlier but I'm sorry for trying to help.. She said wiping a lone tear that escaped her eye.

Ya Rabbi! Which type of daughter am I to make my mother cry? Forgive me ya Allah, forgive me.

I looked up and hugged my mom, mama kiyi hakuri, ki yafe min, I was the selfish one to say all that to you. Wallahi I didn't know when it came out of my mouth mama. I am so sorry, I cried.

No ai ya wuce, yanzu I will tell your Dad to let you dictate your life.. After all the life is yours as you said, she shrugged and tried getting up.

Mama Wallahi I will do it, I am ready to do anything that will make you and baba happy and proud.. Mama sorry I said all that it wasn't deliberate, I wasn't thinking straight mom.

Toh Allah ya miki albarka kuma yasa alkhairi. I have forgiven you and I want you to remove any fear in your mind, be determined and have it in your mind that you are helping others ne, I thought you like helping people Salma.. Huh? You will interact with different kinda people by helping them and saving their lives, what is more heartwarming than hearing soulful gratitude from different people? And hear them say "you made my day", what is more comforting than hearing someone say " I need you?", what is more rewarding than helping the sick? What is more gratifying than knowing that behind every successful doctor is a great nurse?. What Salma? Beyond the salary and the title, have interest in developing a depth of character and love for mankind which can't be seen in any other profession. Choose to be a nurse despite all the hardships, struggles, challenges and sleepless nights that awaits because in this profession you will be able to help many people and their families during one of the most stressing days of their lives.

Mama continued to lecture till she saw me yawned, a yawn that read "mom please hang it there, ima sleepy".

Toh lemme stop here before you swallow me, mama said.

I laughed face palming.

You thought I won't get the message? I'm your mom girl, okay goodnight and think about it well, she hugged me again and stepped out.

As soon as she left I performed ablution, prayed nawafils and asked Allah for guidance (oh Allah! You are the Sustainer, the most gracious, the most merciful, the forgiver, the guider and guardian of all souls, the guider of the lost souls. Oh Allah guide me and let me make the right choice. Ya Allah! You said it in your holy book that whoever thank you, you will add more favors unto him. Allah says" if you are thankful I will add more (favors) unto you but if you show ingratitude then my punishment is terrible indeed, (14:7)

I cuddled up on bed and silently sobbed, amidst sleep I heard Fati saying..

Kai ya Salma is okay na, I thought you just finished thanking Allah.. Huh?. Or do you wanna be among the ingrates? Please kiyi shiru dan Allah, she pleaded (yeah she acts like a 60 year old woman sometimes)

Sorry I woke you up, I won't cry again. Goodnight.

Goodnight, she muttered.

And that was how I slept, a restless sleep with my mind full of thoughts.

Another chappie down, next chapter coming soon in sha Allah.

Allah says "And we have enjoyed upon man, to his parents , good treatment. His mother carried him with hardship and gave birth to him with hardship, and his gestation and weaning(period) is thirty months, (he grows) until when he reaches maturity and reaches(the age of) forty years, he says, " My Lord, enable me to be grateful for your favour which you have bestowed upon me and upon my parents and to work righteousness of which you will approve and make righteous for me my offspring. Indeed, I have repented to you, and indeed, I'm of the Muslims ". (46:15)

Please vote and comment.

                       Zaynaba😍😍