Blanket - Bucky Barnes

Summary: The fire alarm rings and your cute neighbour is only wearing his boxers outside

***

You clutched the blanker pressing it closer as you tried to shield your body from the cold wind. You stood, along with other disgruntled inhabitants, outside your apartment complex watching as flames licked up the window of an unfortunate home, smoke wafting out as firemen fought to kill the fire.

Most people had been roused from their sleep by the looks of their pyjamas' and drowsy eyes.

You, on the other hand, had been pulling an all-nighter and were practically bouncing on the spot by all the caffeine you had drunk. Sleep wasn't a word in your vocabulary yet, the disadvantage of being a student.

"Seems like you were the smart one out of the two of us." You turned your head and found your neighbour James Barnes, or Bucky as he insisted, standing next to you. He was only wearing a grey pair of boxers and you could see the goosebumps forming on his arms. You gave him a pointed look and raised your eyebrows in question. He chuckled embarrassedly, "I panicked."

You made no attempt to hide your smile and huffed in amusement as he gave you a slight nudge with his elbow.

"You're not supposed to laugh" he frowned at you but you could still see the mirth hiding in his eyes.

"Alright, what am I supposed to do when I find my neighbour standing in only his underwear at 2 AM. in the freezing cold?"

"You should tell me how sorry you are that I have to freeze my ass off until we can go inside again!" he complained crossing his arms unknowingly drawing your attention to his huge biceps.

"Oh, I'm so sorry Bucky," you moved closer touching his arm in a manner of comfort but with the hidden ulterior motive of simply wanting to touch them. "Was that better?"

"Much better. How much longer do you think we have to stay out here?" he sighed rubbing his arms to generate some warmth.

It looked like the firemen were nearly done, so you didn't imagine it would take much longer but you obviously had no clue what their normal procedure was or what had even happened in the apartment.

"Maybe half an hour. I really have no clue." He sighed regretting his decision to bolt out the door the second he heard the alarm.

You glanced at him, noticing he was shivering but clearly trying not to let you notice.

"Wanna share my blanket?"

He looked up surprised and you sincerely hoped he didn't find it too weird.

"Really?"

"Sure," you held a corner of the blanket out to him smiling as he slid under into the warmth.

"Thank you so much!" he sighed clearly appreciating it.

The blanket was big enough for the two of you to stand comfortably together - not too close even though you wouldn't have minded, only shoulders brushing.

The silly crush you had harboured for the cute neighbour, as you liked to call him, was all that it would be - silly. Bucky was nice to look at and the small talks you had in the elevator gave you a nice impression of him. However, you couldn't imagine this going further. You didn't have the nerve to ask him out nor the time for a relationship really - being a student definitely swallowed a lot of your time.

"It looks like we can go inside again," Bucky said watching as people in front of you were rushing to get inside and get as much sleep they could before work. He slowly stepped out from the blanket and gave you the corner albeit slightly reluctantly - probably missing the warmth cover from the wind.

You both trudged up to the door shoulders brushing every second step. The elevator was full so you began climbing the stairs thanking yourself for not deciding to live on the highest floor, parting ways at your respective doors.

"Thank you for sharing your blanket with me. Hopefully, we can do that again." He gave you a wink and disappeared behind his door.

Did he just flirt with you? What the hell? Your cheeks began flaming up and a small array of butterflies were let loose in your stomach. You closed the door and sank to the floor trying to make sense of the night. You might have to change your position on having a relationship...