Reader x Stannis Baratheon - Waiting For Love

Start from the beginning

"She was always my favourite." You attempted a smile as you spoke but in reality it came across as pained as you watched your mother place the doll back on the shelf, crossing the room to come over to you.

"Stannis' family has always been good to us Y/N, and from my interactions with him, he is kind, quiet and somewhat surly, but kind," she told you, sitting beside you and taking your hands in hers. "Everyone needs companionship, even you, and he is as good a man as any," she continued and you let out a sigh, attempting to hold back tears.

"I don't want companionship," you murmured, sniffling in an attempt to keep your voice even, "I want to be here with you."

"We will not be here forever," your mother hummed, allowing her fingers to play with yours as she spoke. "I need to know that if something were to happen you would have someone to look after you," she finished with a sigh.

"I don't need someone else to look after me," you grumbled, leaning your shoulder into hers and allowing her to wrap an arm around your body.

"I know, darling, but it would still make me feel better," she told you and you nodded a response.

*Time Skip*

"May I introduce my wife, Juliet, and my daughter, Y/N." You heard your mother greet the man but kept your eyes on the floor as your father smiled brightly at him, unaware of your betrothed's gaze on you as you refused to look at him. "Y/N, say hello to Lord Stannis," your father yelped, causing you to look up at the two men.

"It's lovely to meet you," you told him softly, with a smile that didn't quiet sit well enough on your face to be real.

"And you, My Lady," he grumbled back to you, giving you a tight lipped smile and locking his eyes on yours. He wasn't bad looking, but he was old and you had assumed that when you were to marry it would be to some young Lord, not an old man.

Dragonstone seemed somewhat overdramatic for your tastes, the raw feel of the throne room was almost unnerving, and the two stone dragons that guarded the keep had left you bewildered. Of course, you knew that this had been the home of the Targaryens, but now that it was a Baratheon keep you had assumed that all signs of the old house would have been destroyed. Instead they wore the decor with some sort of sick pride, something that had you on high alert from the moment you had stepped onto the land.

"My wife and I are tired from the journey, but perhaps you could show Y/N the rest of your home," your father suggested and your eyes shot to him in an instant. You had hardly said five words to the man in front of you and your father was happy to abandon you with him, in a place you didn't know, without a second thought.

"I would be happy to," he murmured, glancing at you once again and causing you to look at him with a short nod.

"Perfect," your father exclaimed happily, wrapping your mother's arm through his own as he took her away from you and down the hallway towards their chambers. As they went, your mother kept steeling glances back at you, your eyes locking with hers each time, begging for her to return to you.

"Where would you like to begin?" Your eyes flew back to him as he spoke and you gave him a small shrug.

"You know this place better than anyone, you ought to chose where we start," you told him, your voice soft but unamused.

Stannis let out a chuckle, it was a rare sound from what you had heard. "You don't like me," he laughed, beginning down the hall in the opposite direction of your parents, causing you to hurry after him. "Your father told me that you were very excited to come here, but it seems he was mistaken."

"It's nothing personal, My Lord, I was not looking to marry anyone yet," you breathed, finally falling into step with him, "but my father is not one for details."