Chapter 27

She headed back upstairs to the room, and while she was in the elevator, she met with Dr.Lee.

"It's been a while, Dr.Lee Chi Hoon." She smiled.

"Hello." He bowed.

"How's your child?

"He's doing great." He smiled. "Almost one year old."

"How is your wife? Is she doing okay?"

"She's getting there. Adjusting to becoming a mother."

"That's good. I hope she is not having a hard time."

"Nope. How is Captain Yoo?"

"He's casual." I Said stuffing my hands into my pockets.

"Seems like you're mad about something."

"I am not."

"I sense tension. You guys must have really hit it off." He Sang.

"Clench your teeth." She said. He clashed his teeth together immediately.

"This is my stop, see you later." He stepped off the elevator, and walked away.

She arrived At her stop, and went back to the room. Inside, she saw Shi Jin standing by the window looking out.

"Why are you looking at the window? Is there something?" She asked.

"I see happiness when I look outside." He replied.

"Happiness? Have you been reading virtues lately?" She giggled.

"Look at the trees blowing in sync, the wind clattering against the windows gently." His eyes fixated on the sight they had.

"You have been reading I guess."

"This is the meaning of life for me."

"What is it for you?"

"Peace. Peace is the meaning of life, and my inspiration to live."

"Is that why you became a soldier?" She was repeating those words she said at Urk.

"Why did you become a doctor, Dr.Kang?" He suddenly turned his body towards her. His eyes now on hers.

"If I don't become a doctor, then who will save people? If you didn't become a soldier, who will keep peace?"

"Wise words."

"Are you suddenly a poet now?" She mumbled.

"Dr.Kang?" He said.

Her eyes faced his. His eyes were full of seriousness.

"If I didn't...."

"Didn't what?"

He took deep breaths, and paused.

"If I didn't come back from a mission, would you forget about me?" He asked. He finally said it.

"No. Do you know why though?"

He shook his head.

"Because this man who I loved so much, decided to break his promise. I would not ever forget him, because he broke that one promise that will make a hole in my heart for the rest of my life." She crossed her arms, and stared at him. "Any objections?"

"So you do love me." He whispered.

"What? You thought I didn't love you?" She sneered.

"You seemed quite distant, and a bit rude. I thought you were planning on breaking up with me."

She took two full steps before planting into his chest, wrapping two arms in his embrace.

"I'm just cranky that I haven't got much sleep because I'm on night shift. Don't worry, I won't break up with you. My looks won't get much attention in a few years from now."

He lightly laughed. "You're right, save the looks and the body for me. You're only for me."

"I'm my own, who says I'm yours?" She said pissed.

"I'll stop talking."

She tightened her embrace, and hugged him tightly. Like she wasn't letting go.

"You're the only one for me." He kissed her forehead. He pulled away, and stared at her.

"Too scared to make a move? Two can play." She thought.

She grabbed him by the collar of his shirt, and crashed their lips together.

"Dr.Kang?" He blushed.

She pulled away, and smiled.

"If you're putting a mark on me, at least do it right. Don't be afraid. I don't bite much."

"You said it yourself." He kissed her again, arms around the waist.

They went home that night, feeing gleeful, and happy. Sure enough, Shi Jin had a surprise for her.