Chapter Four

I came to my senses, and spoke. "Anyway, this idea..."

"Do tell."

"You remember that Halloween thing?" I asked.

"Yes. Oh, I still haven't read the diary. It's well hidden though," she promised.

'It's fine. No one's looking for it," I said to her reflection. "Anyway, I was thinking. All those books said it fell in October, right?"
"Yes." she gave me a look.

"It's October now. Why don't we have a Halloween party?"

America spun around to look at me. "Really? Oh, Maxon, could we?" she asked, eyes shining.

"Would you like that?"

"I would love it!" she exclaimed.

"I figure all of the Selected girls could have costumes made. The off-duty guards could be spare dance partners since there's only one of me and it would be unfair to make everyone stand around waiting for a turn. And we could do dancing lessons over the next week or two. You did say there wasn't much to do during the days sometimes. And candy! We'll have the best candies made and imported. You, my dear, will be stuffed by the end of the night. We'll have to roll you off the floor."

America continued to stare at me, mesmerized.

"And we'll make an announcement, tell the entire country to celebrate. Let the children dress up and go door-to-door doing tricks, like they used to. Your sister would love that, yes?" I asked.

"Of course she will! Everyone will!"

I pursed my lips, thinking. "How do you think she would like celebrating here, at the palace?"

Her eyes widened. "What?!"

"At some point in the competition, I'm supposed to meet the parents of the Elite. Might as well have siblings come and do this around a fesitve time as opposed to waiting-"

America barreled into my arms, cutting off my words. I smiled and wrapped my arms around her waist, staring into her eyes.

"Do you mean it? Can they really come?"

"Of course," I answered. "I've been longing to meet them, and it's part of the competition. Anyway, I think it would do you all good to see your families."

"Thank you." she whispered finally.

"You're quite welcome... I know you love them."

"I do." America smiled at me.

I chuckled. "And it's clear you'd practically anything for them. After all, you stayed in the Selection for them."

She jerked her head back, and she looked into my eyes. "Maxon, they were part of the reason I stayed in the beginning, but they're not why I'm here now. You know that right? I'm here because..."

My pulse quickened. "Because?" I asked quietly, feeling hope creeping up.

"Because?" I asked again. I gave her a small smile, hoping to coax it out of her. Please. Say it. I begged silently.

America gave me a flirtatious smile and walked toward the door.

"America Singer, you get back here." I demanded, running in front of her to stop her. I wrapped an arm around her waist. "Tell me," I whispered.

She pinched her lips together. "Fine, then I shall have to rely on other means of communication."

I couldn't take it anymore. I dipped her backwards and kissed her. She put her arms around my neck as I held her. But then she started to cry.

"Darling, what's wrong?" I asked, wiping a tear away. What did I do?

"I don't want to leave all this." she said, her voice shaking a little.

"If I remember correctly, the first time we met, you said it was like a cage." I smiled. "It does grow on you, though, doesn't it?"

America shook her head at me. "Sometimes you can be so stupid." She gave a weak laugh. I let her pull away so she could look into my eyes.

"Not the palace, Maxon. I could care less about the clothes or my bed or, believe it or not, the food."

I laughed.

"It's you. I don't want to leave you," she admitted.

"Me?" I asked, sure I didn't hear correctly.

She nodded.

"You want me?" I asked again.

She giggled at my bewildered expression. "That's what I am saying."

I paused. "How- But- What did I do?" America shrugged, "I don't know. I just think we would be a good us."

I smiled slowly. "We would be a wonderful us." I pulled her in roughly and kissed her.

"Are you sure?" I asked, holding her at arm's length.

"If you're sure, I'm sure." she responded.

Was I? I led her over to her bed, and we sat on the edge of it, holding hands as she rested her head on my shoulder. What would it feel like? To have America as my own? Not to worry about the other Elite? I sighed at the thought, happy. No, I was more than happy.

I sat up straighter. "I should probably go. If we're going to add all the families to the celebration, I need to make extra plans."

America pulled back and smiled at me, making my heart skip a beat. "Thank you again," she said.

We stood together, walking toward the door. "I'll see you tomorrow," I promised, our noses nearly touching. I looked at her adoringly. "You're astonishing."

I opened the door and walked out. I ran my hand through my hair. Could this really be real? Did America just tell me she wanted me?