Chapter Fourteen

I avoided looking at America as much as possible during dinner, but I did glance at her once. She look upset, but not fully angry. Maybe sad?

What had we done? I shook my head and went back to eating. During the Report, I looked at America a couple times. Twice, I caught her eye and tugged my ear. She tightened her lips and looked away, still upset. She looked more angry now. I sighed, if America didn't want to see me, then I wouldn't go against her wishes. We both needed to think.

--

Sleep was pointless. I tossed and turned, thinking about how the Selection was turning out and... well... America. I wonder what she was thinking about? There was no doubt that she also was having difficulties sleeping. Would she forgive me? Could I forgive her? Yes, I could. I rolled over, but sleep still wouldn't come. I gave up, and went to the desk in my room, hoping to get a little work done. I ended up waking up with my face on top of the stack of documents. I burried my head in my hands, it was going to be a long day...

--

I was reading a book, when the guards rushed in my room. "Your highness! There are Rebels inside! Get to a safe room!"

They ran out the door, and I threw the book down. I went to a wall, pressed, and walked through the passageway. I sprinted down the stairs, careful to not slip, and saw Mother running down as well.

"Mom!"

She turned around, and relief flooded her face. We walked together into the saferoom, and saw Father. Mom ran over to him, as I stayed by to doorway, hoping the girls would arrive on time.

As if on que, Tiny and Elise ran in. I brought them to an area to sit, as more girls flooded in. I looked up, holding Elayna's hand, to see America run in with her maids. She gave a nod to Mom and Father, and kept on walking. I looked away before she could see I was looking. Silvia ordered America's maids to do something. America turned toward her maids and, a little loudly, ordered them to get my family and I water, but let the Selected get their own.

I smiled a little, America would always fight. I kept on walking around, soothing the girls. Soon I came to America. I smiled at all of the people leaning on her, relived she was ok.

"Are you well?" I asked.

She nodded, and I leaned over to one of her maids that was still awake, "And you?"

The maid nodded.

"Are you surprised to find yourself down here?" I smiled at the maid.

"No, Your Majesty. Not with her." the maid replied, nodding in America's direction.

I looked at America, and turned back to the maid. "I know what you mean." I wanted to say more, but decided against it.

America grabbed my arm, "North or South?"

"Do you remember the photo shoot?" I breathed.

She nodded, a little surprised.

"Tell no one." I said, and moved to Lady Fiona, who was crying.

"Your highness." Fiona said, tears running down her face.

"How are you holding up Lady Fiona?" I asked, sitting next to her.

"Not so well. I have a question to ask you."

"What is it?"

"After all of this- she motioned to the room- I would like to... return home, if that is okay with you."

I nodded, slowly. "I can have arrangements be made for you. I don't want to keep anyone here against their will."

"Thank you, Prince Maxon. Really." She gave me a tiny weak smile, and I moved to the girl next to her.

Hours went by slowly. I sat on a chair next to Mom, who was sleeping. "I hope we don't lose too many men tonight," Father said, as he read some document.

I sighed, "At least we got a couple new men the other day."

Father nodded, but his attention was focused on his papers. A couple guards opened the door and slipped out, checking to see if there were still rebels lurking around. Another hour passed, and the guards returned, and one stayed up front to make the announcement.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the rebels have been subdued. We are asking that everyone please return to their rooms via the back stairs. There's quite a mess and scores of injured guards. It's better if you all bypass the main rooms and halls until they can be cleared. If you are a member of the Selection, please proceed to your room and stay there until further notice. I have spoken with the cooks, and food will be brought to you within the hour. I'm going to need all medical personnel to report with me to the hospital wing."

Everyone started moving, and I quickly pulled Silvia back. "Your highness." She said with a curtsey.

"Could you do me a favor and go to the ladies' rooms and let them call their families? If some ladies want to leave, please let them, and make sure arrangments are made," I ordered.

"Of course, your highness." Slivia said, curtseying again.

As she walked away, I sighed. Please say America wouldn't leave because of our fight or this attack.