(12) - Combattente

| The All Knowing |

 "It's impossible," Elena whispered, the card effortlessly slipping through the gaps of her fingers as she took a rickety breath of air – her body trembling from the bitterness of reality.

"Miss De Angelis, are you okay?" Her maid questioned cautiously, her heart swelling at the sight of the distraught girl before her. She was the representation of sadness and perplexity in human form, her brown curls were now loose and frizzy with her cheeks tainted a deep shade of pink from her previous tears. The maid watched intently whilst Elena sniffled, her gaze absorbed in a barren area. "Should I call Miss Huntington?"

"No! Please, send them home." Elena abruptly snapped out of her daze, her mouth opening as if she were about to continue talking but it closed just as quickly – Elena's hands brushed over her cheeks in a failed attempt to rid of her tears before she cautiously bent over to pick up the paper. "I-I don't w-want to speak to anyone right now," she stuttered.

"Okay Miss," she nodded quickly. Elena sighed before watching her maid slowly step away.

"Thank you." Elena huffed even though her maid had just left the room and ran her hands through her messy mane of hair.

"Oh Elena!" She heard the humble voice coo, a small smile gracing her features once she acknowledged the worried maid who ran back into the room, making her way towards her with open arms. "Whatever it is that is worrying you, it will be okay." Her maid comforted and enveloped her in a warm embrace, Elena's face burying into her and she made the most of the moment.

"Can you please ask them to leave?" Elena asked politely finally breaking away from the hug; it was a hug she needed because as of right now, the maid was the most maternal figure who was physically present in her life.

"They won't go easily; they will come find you in the kitchen." Her maid edified and rested her hands on Elena's shoulders, her solemn orbs scanning Elena for some form of an eternal answer.

"But I would like to go somewhere without them." She exhaled eying her maid anxiously.

"Your brother won't want you leaving the house, and nor will Miss Huntington or Mr Carter. It is probably best for you to stay home –" Her maid rambled.

"I am going to see him," Elena gulped waiting for the maids' reaction.

"I will hold them off for as long as I can!" Her maid exclaimed in a whisper. "Leave through the back door and make sure you don't make a sound because I've been given strict orders."

"Why are you letting me go so easily?" Elena furrowed her eyebrows, she should have been grateful that she was allowed to leave however she was far more confused.

"It has been too long." Her maid smiled and pulled Elena into one last hug. "Go Miss De Angelis," she pushed Elena towards the backdoor before scuttling towards the kitchen entrance.

"Thank you." Elena smiled softly; her body quietly slipping away from the safety of her house nonetheless her body still shook vehemently with silent sobs.

                The sun was beginning to set as the sky filled with an array of astonishing colours: swirls of baby pink decorated the skies with the soft drops of lilac that melted into blue coloured kisses and were highlighted with speckles of white clouds that flowed across the area of broad grassland.

The extravagantly carved stones were perched grandly in its vicinity along with a few hopeful flowers dotted between the patches. Elena pushed open the grand Iron Gate before making her way through the maze of grave stones. An eerie atmosphere surrounded her as she felt an uninvited wretchedness overtake the area. Her footsteps became lighter as she clutched the white card to her torso.