Chapter 5 - A Plea

"After days of wandering on the ocean I came to theshores of an uninhabited island

"After days of wandering on the ocean I came to theshores of an uninhabited island. That was strange. It seemed untouched from thewar. How could such a place exist? It was a paradise, and I claimed it mine."

- an excerpt from The Thousand Years War, Part I

Krindal Heyardin paced at the bow of the Executor's Breath, moving between the forward cannons atop the raised forecastle.

I hope they listen, Krindal thought, worried, glancing back across the ship. The Executor's Breath was a large vessel, like the Sarin-class warships used by the Sorothian Navy, six decks and five masts. The ship required nearly fifty crewmen to sail, but there weren't that many manning the rigging. Soldiers had to fill in for the dead crewmen. Each looked pitiful, but who wouldn't after surviving the ordeal they had endured?

"We were lucky," Krindal whispered. "That gives me hope. Perhaps I will succeed..."

Turning back toward the bowsprit, Krindal looked across the ocean hori-zon, to his island homeland in the distance. You can't ignore me now! Krindal's internal voice was furious. This was not some foolish errand he had undertaken. This quest was the culmination of years of research, planning, and exploring. And now, he had proof. No longer would they would ridicule him. Krindal had seen—with his very eyes—that the peoples of Kalda had once been more than they were now. Not only that, he had tangible evidence! Finally, Krindal could prove his theory of Cultural Regression.

Krindal could certainly compel his fellows, couldn't he?

"Master Krindal," a stern voice called.

Krindal spun, eyes wide. "Your Imperial Highness," he said with a bow, "I thought you were resting."

Prince Kaescis Midivar strode toward the ship's bow, his gait measured. . He gazed at Krindal with his pale-violet eyes. "I was," the prince said, his stern, blond-bearded face marked by pain. Not physical pain—the prince's wounds were healed. No, this was a deep mental anguish. "But I heard re-ports of land, so I decided to search for you."

"I see," Krindal nodded. The prince came to rest beside Krindal, standing regally. That pose was so natural, but he was royalty after all.

"Are you sure you want me with you?" Prince Kaescis asked, eyes focused across the bowsprit.

"Yes," Krindal nodded. "You will lend credibility to my work. They will listen if you're present. I'm sure of it!"

"The tevisrals you found are not enough?" the prince asked.

Krindal looked at him frankly. "Many of my brethren are childish. It will take more than one witness to change their stubborn minds."

The prince cracked a smile. Krindal hadn't seen him grin since they'd fled to the ship. That was good; this young prince shouldn't be so somber. But whatever drove Prince Kaescis cursed him with seriousness.