Chapter 14: Fathers

Jace's POV:

Gabby eventually left and it was just Dad and I. And I was able to speak again, but I didn't speak much. After tackling him to escape I probably hurt him too much. He was just as silent as me. I was completely knocked out, and I have no idea why but felt completely brain washed from that incident.

After we finished dinner I washed off my plate (Well a pressure plate) and started to walk to my room. Before I walked passed Dad he grabbed my hand, stopping me as he asked,

"Are you alright?"

"I think..." I answered I unsurely. He let go of my hand as I faced him.

"Well I'm sorry. I know it's probably hard trying to regain your memory, trusting strangers who claim to be family. Heh, I guess I've had a lot on my mind lately." Where was this going?

"Well, trusting a stranger is different then trusting your dad."

"Right, right. But you don't know who your dad is until they say why they're important to you. Why is it you automatically assumed I'd be telling the truth to you when you woke up in your room, with no idea what was going on."

"I don't understand why you ask."

"It just... worries me I guess if it would to happen again and a strange man said he was your dad instead of me? I'd probably lose you from what it seems..."

"Well... the last thing I remembered was you and this strange bald man trying to steal me... it wasn't solely trust... I could remember you a little... it was just a feeling though."

"Oh, I see."

Steve's POV:

"Anyways... I'm also sorry." Jace said slowly, trying to be as meaningful as possible.

"What are you apologizing for?" I asked.

"For tackling you... I got the feeling I had hurt you, and I also wanted to make sure you were ok."

"Oh, I'm fine. Just hurt my head a little. But thank you for the apology." I lied. True I was physically fine but mentally I was hurt after hearing what happened to her. How her eyes flickered and the only thing she could think of is getting closer to her real dad without knowing it. I was surprised when she hugged me, tightly, with tears in her eyes.

"I truly am sorry!" I quickly looked at her plead, watching her expression change, and I wiped away her tears,

"Now don't go crying on me." I gave a small smile. She didn't smile back though, she just seemed to be deep in thought as she kept her grip around me.