Void of a Story

***

Chapter 2/ Void of a Story

It's a lonely thing,

protecting  a breakable heart. -- Atticus.

Josiah Hayes

Josiah Hayes.

Everyone tells you about troubled youth.

Everyone tells you about guys like Josiah who have yet to figure out how to settle down. Who have yet to figure out how to play by the rules.

No one tells you about the good guys out there. The ones with peaceful initiatives. The ones with no ulterior motives of harm.

Josiah Hayes is left lonely fighting through the past of his father that lingers, fighting through the void of what used to be his story.

Josiah Hayes is left hopeless in a world where no guidance is available for an inexperienced soul like his. With an empty house that used to be flooded with family warmth, Josiah's heart turned stone-cold with his mind having way too many worries filling it up.

Linemell had to deal with the grief of having Josiah surf the streets looking for trouble. A normal-looking, innocent city needed anything but the will of a 21 year old destroying what most people call home. So, Josiah gave it a breathe of relief when deciding to move cities leaving really nothing behind.

So, as he wakes up in the morning, sun-kissed from having sat way too many hours on the beach over-thinking, he decides that he would continue his search. For his father, for his mother. The one thing pulling him back, why would he want to fight for dead people?

Josiah sighs as he finished getting ready and headed to the library where he knew his friend, Will, was going to be there. The bell rang, that stupid bell that gets on his nerves each time, and the smell of cinnamon bothered his sense of smell more than the burnt eggs he once ended up making.

Will was in his regular spot but the sight of him holding a book did not greet Josiah today. In fact, he was just sitting there arms and legs crossed with a look that screamed, 'constipation'.

Josiah walked over to him already assembling a cheering-up speech that he was about to give.

No, it's not cute.

Its manly.

"Hey, man." He said as he made himself comfortable beside him. Will looked up for a second then returned his gaze to the floor once more after muttering a barely-audible 'Hey.'

"What's up? You wanna tell me what's wrong?" Josiah opened up a packet of Skittles he had hidden in his pocket once arriving here and popped one in his mouth.

"The same shit. My parents need a reality check if they think I'm staying in that damned house with their screams echoing every fucking second." Will said reaching out for the packet as he sighed.