17 | Someone Like Her

Xavier's office door slid shut quietly behind him as he stalked over to his desk

"Don't–"

His Montblanc notebook was already hurling past Rafa, crashing in an unsatisfying manner against the abstract painting before it fell down to the floor. It had no use anyway. All his office supplies were merely a pretense. Business at their level happened discreetly. 

"–lash out before you have the full picture," Rafa finished, looking mildly exasperated.

"I thought she was mature."

Rafa didn't answer because they both knew what Xavier really wanted to say. 

"When we got her," Rafa began as they sat down, cognac in hand, "she looked terrified. She didn't say anything and you'd already called four times so we left. I've sent someone to look at the CCTV. Maybe next time, let her speak?"

Blazing anger turned into concern as Xavier leaned forward, brows furrowed. "What do you mean? She looked scared because I'd caught onto what she'd been doing instead of studying."

Rafa sighed before shrugging. "I saw the mark. Tony did as well. However, we'd also seen her living conditions before she came here. We've seen how she cared for Emma all the months she's been here. It couldn't have been all a sham all the fucking time. She's mature."

"You and I both know I did not mean that."

Xavier picked up his phone, one tucked away under the coffee table. It was the only one that could reach the man he was about to call. 

"Xavier," Alexander Ricci answered on the second ring.

The former king of Varjot still managed to strike more fear in the hearts of people than the current one with how ruthless his regime had been. He'd made more people bleed than could be accounted for and if Xavier didn't find him slightly useful, he would have been six feet under with how he conducted business.

"Alexander. I have a request."

There was a pause and if Xavier was in the mood, he would have felt a slight thrill in rendering the man speechless. He rarely had requests for Alexander, if ever. It was better to steer clear of the man as much as possible.

There was a clearing of throat before Xavier spoke again. "Could I please speak with Theodore?"

Clo's ex-husband and Alexander's latest lover. Even if he wanted to, he still couldn't wrap his head around how the Theodore could stay with Alexander after what he'd done to his ex-wife. Despite Alec trying his hardest to conceal matters when it came to Clo, news had spread like wildfire through the top-ranking members of what she had gone through at the hands of Alexander's men. 

Xavier shook his head, getting rid of the image his mind had conjured so he wouldn't say something he'd later regret to the piece of scum.

"Theodore says he's been expecting a call from you," there was a hint of annoyance in his tone but Xavier didn't care enough to know whether it was directed at him or towards his lover, "so I'll put him on now. He has an exam tomorrow."