3 | Someone Like Her

Robert Visconti had a year to live

And yet, the old man refused to live his last few months on Earth quietly. Not many seventy-five year olds could say they had invited half the city to their birthday party except him.

"Let me know when you want to leave," Cairo, Xavier's youngest brother, muttered before raising his glass at an unknown guest.

Xavier stood by his father's side silently as he examined the sea of people. He was sure he had met each and every one of them at some point in his life and yet, for the life of him, he couldn't remember any names.

"I have nurses," Robert laughed quietly from his chair, "and if I need more, I'll let you ladies know. Why can't you two be more like Christopher? Look at him," he nodded towards the entrance. "Late to his own father's last birthday."

"Dad," Xavier sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose before his annoyed gaze turned towards his younger brother.

As always, Brandon Garcia, his best friend was attached to his hip as they entered conspicuously. Xavier rolled his eyes along with Cairo.

"He thinks he's slick," Xavier said, making Cairo chuckle.

"I do like watching him squirm. It keeps his gigantic ego in check. One inquiry about Brandon shuts him..." Cairo trailed off, brows furrowing.

Xavier stood up straight, narrowing his eyes when he looked at what had caught his brother's gaze. An incredulous laugh escaped his lips as he watched the girl he'd taken pity on next to Brandon, clutching his arm with a smile on her face.

Gone were the torn shoes and baggy clothes. They were replaced with a dress and heels. Xavier could feel the slight hush and murmurs as people took in the newcomer. It wasn't just that she was beautiful; Visconti parties never had outsiders. Everyone knew everyone, either through association or business.

So why was she here?

"Tell both of these motherfuckers to meet me in my office. Keep an eye on the girl," Xavier instructed Cairo who nodded before leaving.

Lydia Miller.

Elvira Miller's niece.

Did his brother know the woman who had fucked him over was related to the girl next to his boyfriend?

"Dad," Xavier turned to his father, "Rafa is going to be by your side. Do you need anything before I deal with this?"

Robert Visconti's eyes twinkled as he regarded his eldest son. "Is she the girl you have taken a liking towards?"