Chapter 2 (Edited)

Start from the beginning

I tugged on a boy's shoulder as I funneled through the large double doors. He whipped his head around. "Excuse me," I said. "Do you know where the main office is?" He looked me over.

"Are you new here?" he asked.

"Just arrived a week ago."

He checked his watch before scanning the emptying hall. "I'll take you there. The secretary will probably write me a pass anyway. This way." He led me down a hallway, before he made a left. "The entrance we came through is the student entrance, but this one is the administrative entrance, if you're ever late...or in trouble."

"I don't think I'll be in much trouble."

"Ah, you never know." He grinned. "I've been there a few times."

I plastered on a smile and nodded at him. I mean, he wasn't bad looking. But I didn't know him. And there was just something a bit... offputting about asking if I was new and then immediately laying down the charm. Well, I don't know that it's charm. He could be nice.

"Thanks for the help."

"Anytime, anytime." He stuck his hands in his pockets, rocking back and forth on his heels. "DO you have your schedule and everything?"

"I'm about to get it now."

"Cool, cool, cool." His tongue wet his bottom lip. "Anyway, welcome the school, and if you're not busy⁠⁠—"

"Move along, Cole."

The boy's gaze hardened as he looked at the redhead standing behind me. "Mind your business, Liz."

"Already on the hunt? Again? You are insatiable."

He glanced at me. "Our breakup was mutual."

"I know. It was the way you got with Melinda three days before the breakup that wasn't." She grabbed me by the arm⁠⁠ (and she was strong enough to suppress my jolt) before pulling me into the office and shutting the door behind us.

"Sorry about that," she said. "That's community property, so just avoid him."

"So what you were saying was real?"

"About Cole Matthews?" She snorted. "What I was saying was kind. He goes through girls like packs of gum. Anyway, welcome to Evansville."

"You don't sound so happy about it."

"Me? No, I hate it here. It's in the middle of nowhere and the old families are weird."

"Old families?"

"The people who like living in this town. The people who founded this town." She looked at me for a little longer, before shaking her head. "No, not Mormons."

"I was just about to ask, actually."

"Anyway, I have this packet for you. It has your schedule and some documents for your parents. I would actually take them home and get them signed. Evansville is really harsh about forgeries."

"What makes you think that I would forge a document?"

"I'm speaking from personal experience."

A laugh almost tore out of me. She noticed, and raised her eyebrows, while a smile crept up in the corners of her mouth.

"What's your first class?" she asked.

"Calc I."

"I thought we might have the same schedule. That's the only reason I could think of that they would choose me. Come on, follow me."

She walked surprisingly fast. I hopped a few steps to catch up to her, before falling in stride. "The Evans came to my house the first day I moved here."