Reader x Jon Snow - High Hopes

Start from the beginning

"I just," you started, pausing for a moment when your voice stuck in your throat, "I just wish he could have spoken with me about what was wrong," you whispered to her and she nodded in agreement. "I would have gone with him if he had just accepted that it was possible for me to love him."

"It would have been a terrible decision for the two of you to go off on your own," she scolded you, though you could tell that there was no true annoyance behind it.

"Perhaps he will come back," you murmured quietly, though it was much more for your own peace of mind than for hers.

"Once he joins the Nights Watch he can never take a wife, there is nothing more he can offer you."

"He may leave before he can take his vows," you told her softly, shrugging slightly as the words fell from your lips.

"Don't be silly, Y/N, he would never have left if he planned to return," she told you, getting to her feet and moving back to her seat.

"I know it's silly, but there is no harm in hoping that he will change his mind." The room fell silent for another moment, until a sob escaped you, "I don't want to believe he doesn't want me."

*Time Skip*

Theon Greyjoy was at the gates of Winterfell, his men lined up behind him, and all you could do was glare at him between the wooden bars. "Come now Y/N, you know me," he told you softly and you raised an eyebrow at him.

"Which is why I am highly aware that I should not trust you, Theon," you growled at him, glancing behind him at the men who were growing more and more restless. He took a few steps closer to the gate, his face angry and red.

"Let me in," he hissed at you, his hands gripping the wooden grid and shaking it ever so slightly. It looked as though it had taken far more effort than he had expected, making him turn an even darker shade of red.

"When Lady Stark left Winterfell she entrusted Bran and Rickon into my care, even if I did trust your intentions in coming here without Robb, I have received no letter to announce your arrival, nor do I know a single man among your travelling companions. There is no way in seven hells that I, or any of the Stark men, will open these gates for you, not today, not until The King in the North himself tells us to." You turned on your heel before marching yourself further from the gate, glancing at Maester Luwin and gesturing for him to follow you into the castle. "Send word to Robb that he is here. There is no way he wouldn't have come himself if something was required from Winterfell." Luwin nodded, hurrying away towards his study and leaving you alone in the hallway.

It was true, Theon Greyjoy had been your friend for longer than you could remember, but he was a troubled boy and he always would be.

"Y/N?" The little voice caused you to jump when it echoed through the hallway, and you quickly turned towards where the sound had originated, finding Rickon staring up at you in confusion. "Why can't Theon come inside?"

"Because your mother has told me that everyone who comes through that gate must be given permission by Robb, and he has not yet given his permission." He nodded slightly as you held out your arms for him, pulling him up onto your hip and wrapping him up to carry him down the halls towards where Bran would be waiting for you. He would be far more understanding of the Theon situation, he had been learning about the Greyjoy Rebellion only a few weeks back and would have a better grasp of the politics of your friendship with the Iron Islander.

"Has Theon left yet?" Bran's voice was tired and soft when he spoke to you, it was expected when a child so young was expected to run such a powerful house without his family to help him. Yourself and Maester Luwin had tried to help, but your understanding of northern politics and running a household was weaker than any Stark child's, and the Maester was rushed off of his feet with work. Too many duties had fallen on Bran's shoulders.