Chapter 9

I woke up to the smell of something burning. Immediately I sat up, alert.

"Well, good morning, sunshine," said Ben. "Braxton and I were just getting to know each other."

Who the heck is Braxton? I quickly remembered that there was a little boy with us.

"Hi, nice...(yawn)...to meet you. I'm Rileigh."

"Oh I know who you are." said Braxton. "Ben has been taking non-stop about you all morning."

I didn't really know what to think. I blushed a little. Ben, however, got as red as an easy button from Staples. I guess it was sweet, but didn't he say he had a girlfriend? Whatever. It probably wasn't like that, anyway.

"So, tell me about yourself," I said, trying to change the topic.

"Well, I am seven years old and I like the dinosaur chicken nuggets but all my friends think that they are for babies." He all of a sudden looked upset."It doesn't matter though because I won't have to see them again anyway."

I looked at Ben. He looked back at me and shrugged.

"I like those chicken nuggets, too!" I said trying to make him feel better.

"You? That's just weird."

That didn't work too well. "So how did you get here?"

"I was on the plane and all of a sudden, poof! We are on the ground! Mommy said to get off the plane, and that she would be right behind me. I got off the plane and she told me to run really fast. I did. But she didn't follow me." He sniffled, and continued.

"I walked for a little bit when I saw a gynormous black thing! It picked me up, and I woke up in the dark. A big scary man got me out of the room and threw me into another one."

Now he was fighting back tears. I noticed that he had some huge bruises on his arms and legs. The sight just broke my heart.

"Oh come here, buddy." I spread out my arms and he came in and hugged me. He didn't let go for a while either. Braxton just held on even after we started to eat the birds that Ben caught. I thought it was sweet.

I looked over to Ben, and he looked like he had aged. Something was on his mind. I felt like I shouldn't bring it up, especially in front of Braxton.

"We should get going," said Ben.

"Yeah, we should," said Braxton. I chuckled, and we went on our way. Braxton talked about so many different things, but neither Ben no I were really listening to him. I would give the occasional "uh-huh" and "yeah" and "I get you" so he wouldn't feel ignored, but I was worried for Ben. Every time I looked at him, he looked like he may shed some tears. Finally, it was getting dark.

"Ok, I think this is a good place to setup camp. Don't you think so, Braxton?"

"Yep. Perfect." I loved that kid. We didn't have anything to set up except for a knife and two jackets. I give him mine so he could stay at least a little warm. Then Ben and I sat on a log. I waited until I heard steady breaths from Braxton to talk to Ben.

"What is up with you today?" I was sincerely concerned. He didn't answer.

"Come on. I know something is bothering you. Spill."

I saw a single tear fell off his cheek.

"I... can't tell you," Ben said, heartbroken.

"Oh come on. You can trust me. There is nobody I can tell, anyway." I tried to comfort him, but he shook me off.

"You just don't get it! It's not like I can't tell you because I don't to. I can't tell you because it will put both you and Braxton in harm's way!" He stood up and turned away from me.

I heard only the sound of crumbling leaves and the wind for about two minutes.

I was speechless. I couldn't comprehend it completely. Before I could think, he turned back to look at me. His eyes were wet and puffy with streams of tears downs his cheeks. My lower lip started to quiver. I just hated seeing him so upset. I motioned him over to give him a hug, and he does so. Both of us were tearing up on each other's shoulders.

After sobbing, Ben says,"I will never, ever, let anything happen to you."

That remains to be seen.