Chapter 4

I was in a field. My mom and I were having a picnic. I seemed young, about seven or eight, and we were laughing. All of a sudden, it started to rain, pour. Mom said to not worry about grabbing the stuff and to run home. With no questions, I did as she said. I almost got to the door when I heard a BOOM and then a scream. I yelled, "Mom!" and ran, more sprinted, back in the direction I came. I found my mother laying on the ground scorched. Another crackle of lightening hit the tree next to me, now in flames. I screamed and ran back to the hut. I slammed the screen door shut, and started to hear, "Wake up! Wake UP!"

Ben was staring at me, panicked. I rubbed my face realizing that it was wet. It was a dream. No, it was a flashback.

"You were yelling in your sleep. Are you ok?" I could tell he was being sincere.

"Yeah," I lied, "It was not a good dream. that's all."

"Do you want to tell me about it?" He seemed interested.

I told him everything, from the laughter and fun, to the devastation at the end. I mentioned every detail that came to mind.

"You have one vivid imagination." Ben said shocked.

"Actually, I don't." my voice was starting to tremble. I bit my lip, fighting back tears. All Ben did was stare at me, looking dumb with his mouth wide open. About thirty seconds passed when he finally said, "Rileigh I am so sorry!"

Tears were streaming down my face, I felt like a vulnerable, little girl again, wishing and praying that she would come back. I had to change the subject somehow. it was 7:30 and I did not want to start this day too rough.

"I am starving!" I said trying to sound as if that conversation before didn't exist.

"We should start getting on. I'll find some bird or something for us as we walk." Ben said, looking around. "I got a feeling we need to leave." So we packed up what little stuff we had and left.