The Princess's Pet (Part 1: Fate)

The following story makes use of two character's point of view (POV) and thoughts.

Sophie Amber (POV)

'Cold.....So cold.....White?' I ask myself in my head as I slowly woke. A damp coldness came as I stirred and realized it was snowing again. Moaning I sat up and pulled my exposed legs in and rubbed to get warm. Why did winter have to be so cold? I wondered as I watched the frozen flakes fall in silence. I could hear no noise that morning. Feeling my stomach grumble I realized I really needed to eat again.

Crawling out from my box borrowed home a I began walking the cold icey-ness of the ground and of the snow pierced my bare feet that was wrapped in tight layers of old newspaper. I walked a good bit looking for any money or food unwatched. I did have to be careful thieves was treated harshly and delt with harshly. I been living on the streets for some time. Today is my sixteenth birthday. Nearly six years ago I lost my family and home.

I kept walking as I went about. My malnourished and overly exposed body did little for me. Over the years I managed to walk, crawl, run, sneak in to carts and caravans to get place to place all the while taking what I could to live. Again I find myself trecking before the capitol's palace. Smells of good food wafted into my noise. I realized it was lightly guarded as my need for food over came my sense of judgement. Normally such a high place I would avoid. This time....This time I let my stomach guide me. BIG MISTAKE! I just yet to know it.

Carefully I ducked behind a spot that was difficult to see at but easy to see from. I watched and observed the small number of guards. Nervously I almost backed out till my stomach grumbled and a full opening came. I ran to the wall from my place astonished that I was unseen. I stood a moment trying to catch my breath as I breathed hard shivering in the cold. My old clothes I had on when I lost my family and home still was worn. Its color was faded and I out grew all but kept my dress that now just barely covered my free ranged neither regions.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. The smell of fresh baked food coveted my nose. It had been so long since I had any food that smelled good and long still since fresh. Opening my eyes I scaled quickly and jumped the wall. I hurried for each and all cover I found. Bushes, trees, sculptures, I hid trying to make no sound as I followed my nose. I moved only when safe to avoid a guard or servant. Something seemed off. The palace looked devoid of its normal staff. The snow fall became a friend for as it helped hide my tracks.

After a bit I proceeded on a walk path as I soon saw a kitchen entry. I progressed unaware of eyes laying upon me. I waited under a cart till people stopped coming in and going out. 'Slowly now.' I told myself creeping to the door. I watched a batch of fresh bread be sit to a stand near to cool. I waited my mouth watered and stomach rumbled. Seeing the kitchen staff turn away I moved and grabbed two. Damn it my luck. Still to hot to touch, yet I still grabbed and let a light wince out, only hell broke loose.

"Hey you what do you think your doing?" A voice gruff, loud, deep and crude said as a man turned exposing a face as heinous as a hog to own the voice. Scared I gripped the bread and my tail tripped a few pans whist I ran. Did I tell you I had a tail? Well never mind that I can explain such later.

"Thief!  Thief! Thief! Someone stop that infernal thief!" The voice of the man yelled as I was chased. Guards became alert and rushed after. I barely got away and lost the cook but felt my tail gripped and pulled. Needless to say I screamed out with tears as I face planted and quickly grappled. I felt my weak body lose its strength as my wrist became cuffed.

"Let me go." I meowed out as I began crying. I felt humiliated and was greatly afraid. I knew the country I called home was a monarchy democracy that even kept its slave trade. Worse yet I seen what is done to caught thieves from their first offense to the third and final offense.