Chapter 21: On edge

Start from the beginning

"I know I might not be the appropriate person to speak to you on this. There is a person who advocates for rights of people like you in our student council. She said she would like to speak to you. I will call her up and ask her to speak to you. You don't have to rush into any decision. Just think over this." He told me and asked me to stay outside.

Kyle asked me what happened and everyone looked at me for my answer. "He said he would deal with the people who did this." I said.

"Then why are you frowning?" Kyle asked me. I heard the bell ring at that moment. I knew Kyle and my friends had already missed one class because of me.

"I think you guys should go to class. I have to meet someone." I told them.

"Are you sure?" Kyle asked me with a frown and I nodded.

"Who are you meeting?" He asked me and Natalie rolled her eyes.

"Does it matter who he is meeting? He can handle himself. He doesn't need you guys hovering over him. If you can't treat him like the guy he is, you are no friend of his." Natalie said and I winced. Kyle frowned at that and then looked at me. I did think Natalie went overboard there but I was speechless for a few seconds.

"I get it. I'll go to class then." Kyle said with a frown before leaving. I couldn't hold him back. He looked annoyed with Natalie.

"You really shouldn't have said that to Kyle. He has been my friend since I was three." I told Natalie.

"But they keep stifling your growth as a boy. I had to say something." Natalie said with a shrug. I pursed my lips at that.

"I don't really care, Natalie. I love my friends. They mean a lot to me. They care a lot about me. That's all." I told her and she gave a frustrated sigh.

"Okay. I'll go to class then." Natalie said and left. Daniella remained with me until I was called into a meeting room beside principal's office. A fashionable lady in her forties sat there.

"Hello darling, are you Elliot?" She asked me and I nodded.

"I am Silvia. You might know my daughter Natalie. She told me a lot about you." She told me and I gave her a surprised look.

"Don't look so surprised. It was all good things." She said with a chuckle. I warmed up to her slightly but I didn't like where the conversation would lead and hence remained tense.

"I heard what happened at school today. It's really a pity that people don't understand. I completely understand what you are going through and I applaud you for your bravery in coming out. There are many people who never come out of the closet. I am curious. Is it your attraction for girls that made you realize you are meant to be a boy?" She asked me and I blinked.

"Not really. I am not sure if I like girls more than boys. All I know is that I always wanted to be a boy because I want to be strong like a boy and girls..well..look more pretty than boys." I told her honestly.

"So you are both gender questioning and a lesbian. That's a lot to deal with. I completely understand." She said and I frowned. It made me uneasy to be tagged as anything to be honest.

"Let's cut the chase and come to the real issue here. The principal might have told you that many girls have complained about having to share a toilet with you since you are a boy. We discussed this in the school board. If you must know, there are gender questioning children who actually want to use the toilet of the gender they perceive they are than the sex they are born with. At our school, we would be very supportive of any child wanting to be what they are. I condemn what had been done to you strongly. It might make you even want to retrieve back into your closet. But you have to be stronger now. Be an example to all the gender questioning children out there and embrace your true gender, Elliot. I think it would be a good answer to everyone complaining about you to say you don't care and use the boy's toilet." She told me.