39 | Double Agents

_____________________________________
| Quick Talk |

Lots of POVs ahead, just sayin'
_____________________________________

"I'm scared, Mama," Ash's small voice barely raised above a whisper against the amount of noise I created from banging the door repeatedly. I glanced at her and tried to smile, but I was sure my eyes reflected so much pain that she looked down and buried her head in her tiny hands, seeming used to the stress.

Chestin and Rosella had tried to call up some people that would be coming in no time. In the meantime, I tried to break us free. However when I shot the window and gave us a way to leave, they aimed a gun at Ash, and I was forced to retreat back in the room, blocking up the window with sheets.

I placed my hands on my hips and my eyes furrowed in concentration, thinking up of any ways to get myself and the child out safely, all the while occasionally losing my mind and having headaches on worrying over whether or not Axel was spared. Eventually, my eyes landed on the suit jacket laying in the corner next to my bag and I made sure no one was watching from the door before I went over to it and snatched it up.

Searching the pockets for anything, I stumbled upon a little device placed inside. Angling it so that only I could see, I realized it was a tracking device. Who am I keeping an eye on, I wondered, eyes scrutinizing the screen. The dot moved closer and closer to a building I knew all too well. In that instant I knew I was watching over Liam, and my throat tightened remembering our last talk. He was going back to the R.U. What I couldn't figure out was why he would allow me to keep a tracking on him?

Unless, it was a way of telling me I could still trust him. I let out a scoff and tossed the device back in the pocket, suddenly realizing something. The night we talked, Liam had a strange look flash across his eyes before he started telling me off. Backtracking my steps, I stood back in the same spot we had been last night and re-envisioned where he stood.

"Jamie," Liam came back sternly, but then his eyes averted somewhere before he said, "Yes. I was planning to leave. I was planning to do it before you woke up."

I was having a headache trying to replay events of last night. But I stood there recalling scenes where I took note of his changing expressions.

"Sorry?" He asked skeptically, laughing, "Sorry? Is that the best you could do? You were the one that said let's never meet again, or did you forget, Lennon?" He eyed me silently with a frown, eyes seeming to be aware of something.

I stepped forward and stood in the spot Liam had occupied, turning around so that I faced the same way the man did. I tilted my head upwards slightly like I remembered he had done, and squinted for something on the walls.

And there it was. Before at night, the walls were covered with glow-in-the-dark stars and a dozen or so darker sparkles around them. Now that it was day, I could see that one of the black spots, the smallest and furthest away from the group, was a mini security camera installed to spy on Liam's room.

He saw the camera for the first time last night, I thought to myself, and began coming up with a way to leave. To... get help?

However, a part of me understood that even if it was an act for the camera, the man did vent out his honest thoughts. He must have had so many things on his mind, must have resented me in that moment, must've used that opportunity to tell me how he really felt.