><>Chapter Two<><

"Rosie!" I shouted running to the waters' edge.

People were jumping into the sea in their underwear. It was carnage.

I was in a panic. Will obviously didn't realize how drunk Rosie was. What if he dragged her out deep and lost her?

I charged into the water until I was waist-deep and then I felt how cold it was.

"Shit," I yelped.

I looked around me. I could not see her anywhere. I searched for Will and Allan, but all I could see were strangers.

"Oi Sexy, I'd like to see that dress a little wetter," a man shouted at me from a group to my left while emptying a bottle of wine down his throat.

There was a big splash as the lady next to him - presumably his poor girlfriend - lifted her arm and slapped him. I shuddered. These older men were turning out to be just as gross as my peers.

I could not even dignify the comment with a response - I had to find Rosie. I threw myself to the right just before a wave came rolling in. It pinned me down for a minute as it traveled over my body and then I was able to surface. I swam past the partygoers looking desperately for my friend's face in the moonlight.

As I swam further I realized the water must be getting quite deep but the party had spread so far out that I had no choice but to keep going, keep searching.

Eventually, the crowd began to thin, and just a few figures bounced ahead in the waves. I strained my eyes to see if any of them were Rosie, but a wave rose every time, splashing me in the face. I swam a little further, but an uneasy feeling was beginning to wash over me. I was too far out.

I was sobering up, and logic was beginning to get a grip on me. Rosie would never have made it out this far in her state.

I turned and gasped. As I looked back to shore, everything appeared so dark, so far away. I could see the bonfire, but it looked tiny from here, like the flame from a lighter. I saw some little orange flickers around it - the fire jugglers. The current must have pulled me out further than I could swim.

I started to swim towards the lights, but there was a force pulling me back out and away. It was as if I was on a treadmill; I was going nowhere.

"Oh, God," I gasped, paddling desperately. What had I done?

Ideas began to race through my mind. I could get swept out into open water and die. What if a shark got me? There were basking sharks out here on the southwest coast - the ones with the big gaping vacuum mouths. I could get sucked up easily. Maybe that was even what was pulling me!

I let out a cry. All I could think of was my mum and dad. I was an only child, and they would be destroyed if anything happened to me. I couldn't bear the thought. I had to get back to shore.

"Help!" I quivered into the night.

Maybe the other guys out ahead would help me. I strained my neck over the waves. I made a real effort, this time, gave it all I had. I arched my back and peered as high as my body would allow me.

This time I saw clearly two spherical plastic shapes glinting under the moon. Buoys.

That was what I had chased out here!

I cursed myself. I was an idiot.

"Hey," said a voice softly behind me. I immediately felt relief. I was not alone in my peril. I could at least share my last moments with another person.

I felt gentle hands on my shoulders, and I slowly turned around.

I could not see too much of the man, except for the lower parts of his face the moon illuminated. He had a strong jaw and shoulder-length dark hair, which appeared to stop around broad shoulders.