Chapter 49

"James." Klaus begins slowly for the first time on their journey. The two had sat in an uncomfortable silence for an hour. Each wanting to reach out, but too confused and angry to do anything but sit and think.

James was angry—more angry than he had ever been in his whole life. He was not aware of the injustices committed right under his nose and he had worked at the castle for most of his immortal life. When the time had come, he was tossed aside like trash. His loyalty had meant nothing. He wanted nothing more than to go back to a few days prior when he had a normal life with his normal family.

"James." Klaus repeats. Still no response.

Klaus figured that he was too caught up in his own thoughts to look beyond their current situation. He on the other hand, was nearly unfazed by what had happened to them. The pain that he had endured the days that he was locked in his cell had been worse than anything he could have ever imagined. He was broken physically and mentally. Although he was not plagued by the reality of the situation before him, he understood the bravery that was needed in order to sacrifice one's self to the new king. He had done it himself. If Dimitri was not already dead, he was going to wish that he was. All so that Klaus and James could make it to the resistance.

Klaus supposed that it not only took bravery to do what Dimitri had done, but hope. Hope for a better world. For some reason, he chose to believe that the two of them could do anything to stop Mephistor. He wasn't sure if it could be done. The young king's power grew everyday.

"I remember." James whispers.

Klaus looks up. "What?"

The man in front of him pulls at the hair on his head. His face is contorted with stress.

"I remember her."

Klaus' eyes widen.

"James, are you alright-"

The mans head snaps up to meet Klaus.

"What have I done?" His voice is dangerously low. "Oh God what have I done!"

"Who is she?"

"My daughter, Klaus." He begins slowly. His fists are clenched at his sides. "The daughter that I threw away." His voice turns into a growl. "The daughter that disgraced my family."

"Daughter?" Klaus asks confused. "You had a second daughter?"

He nods. "Cleo."

"Cleo." Klaus repeats. He was surprised that Alliana had never mentioned her. Although he supposed that there hadn't really been time to.

"She joined the rebellion." James clutches his hair. "I had to get rid of her to protect—to protect Alliana."

"How was getting rid of her sister protecting her?"

James shakes his head. "I have no idea. I thought that it would ruin our family. I had spent so long building an imagine and I— I couldn't let her ruin it—oh god—why can't I remember!" He yells in irritation. "Why can't I remember the face of my own daughter!?"

"Calm down-"

"Calm down?" James' laugh contains no humor. "Dimitri just died so that we could escape and you want me to remain calm!"

"James—"

"I sent my own flesh and blood away." He stands. "My wife—dear lord Cosette— I don't know what's become of her-" Klaus sits back in his chair as the man approaches him. "And Alliana—my sweet Alliana is tangled in this mess—" James places a hand on Klaus' shoulder. "Why is she wanted by the king Klaus?" His voice is entirely defeated. "Why are you? What is happening in this god damned kingdom?"

Klaus is stunned. "Do you really want to know?"

The two men meet eyes and James nods.

With a sigh, Klaus furrows his brow.

"You should probably sit down." He begins, motioning to the seat in front of him. "This might take a while."

~~~

Cleo stands in the conference room for a while after everyone leaves. Her mind is racing.

When the door to the room opens, she doesn't bother to look up.

"What are we going to do?" Maria asks. Cleo can feel her icy blue eyes trained on her. "If they can figure out how to mass produce a cure, our entire mission will be jeopardized."

"I know." The leaders voice is low.

"So what do we do?" Annoyance laces the older woman's tone.

"It's simple really." Cleo lifts her head. Her gold eyes are void of emotion. "We make sure that the cure is destroyed. After that, we dispose of the doctor."

Maria raises a brow. "Won't the others grow suspicious? Especially since they've only just arrived?"

"So we make it look like an accident." Cleo brushes the woman's worries away. "We can not risk her letting this cure out before the king is dead."

Maria nods. "I'll get right on it. And what of the others in operation—what was it? Ink."

Cleo laughs and shakes her head. "They won' last ten seconds in the kingdom. By the time they realize that, it will be too late."

"Excellent."

"You are dismissed." Maria turns and exits the conference room.

With a clenched fist Cleo smirks.

"Now they'll know what it feels like to be betrayed and thrown away like you're nothing." She growls. "Now she'll know." A maniacal laugh follows.

What no one else knows is that, while supervising the making of the virus, Cleo was exposed to it in its rawest form. The nearly pure strain of the virus has manipulated her mind in ways that surpass Mephistor ten fold.

She could care less about bringing the kingdom to justice. All she wants is revenge.

Make them pay. Her beast growls.

"I will." She smirks. "I'll make them all pay."

~~~
Looks like Mephistor's beast isn't the only one.